Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116 Briggs loosing power when hot.

GregB

Happened a couple of times. Near the finish of mowing, after 45min or so, power drops. RPM goes down, tractor slows. If I pull back on the hydro control, it will recover. Grass was not tall. Gas is visible in the clear aftermarket fuel filter. Tank almost full. Pretty sure I have the main jet set right. This is the one I just put the new Briggs carb on two weeks ago.

Starting points?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Did late models have a bag filter inside the gas tank like the B series?

Was just mowing and it happened. The external filter was empty, little visible gas . I was running with a loose gas cap so vaccum issues probably not

The GTHL had a screen on the fitting that pushes through the gas tank grommet; I think I even replaced it.

I had that exact problem on my 3112H 12hp briggs. On those tractors there was a screen on the inlet of the gas hose inside the gas tank. I removed the screen, and the problem went away.

Try removing fuel lines, blow them out with an ir hose to be sure they are clear of debris. When the tank is full, there is more fluid pressure to force gas to the carb, even with a restriction. At low levels, there is not enough pressure to overcome the loss of volume caused by a restriction. If you regularly use gas with ethanol added, it will break the fuel lines down on the inside. Replacing the lines will be the eventual outcome. At low fuel, remove the line from the carb and check to see if you have full flow, and compare it against a full tank line flow

Drained the tank with a siphon, pulled tank. If they had tweaked to dash tower it would have been easier, without pulling battery :(!

Tore grommet trying to pull the fitting. Local dealer did not have one. But I swapped a spare tank, without screen inside.

Mowed the whole place yesterday, not a sputter :D

Now if it does this another couple of times I'll call it fixed for now.

• 4 weeks later...