Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Gcabinet1

3212h differential / trans question

Gcabinet1

I am working on my restoration of my 3212h. It is totally apart now trans and axles still together. I have drained the trans. I plan on taking the differential apart cleaning and repacking with grease. The differential seems a bit loud as I spin it by hand hoping new grease will quiet it down. As far as the axles go I will replace the oil seals where it goes into the trans. My question to those of you who have done this is, what should I look out for. Do I need to open the trans. Would rather not unless there is a reason to do so. As far as I know it works fine.

I have not had much experience with differentials or trans.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Gary

Chris727

Cleaning the differential is a good idea. You can change the axle seals without disassembling the transmission but you will have to remove the wheel hub and differential. If there is much grooving or wear on the axle tube the seals will probably continue to leak.

Bill725

When replacing the seals, especially on the RH/differential side, side a plastic bag over the axle tube to protect the seal from getting damaged/cut by the ring groove and key seat. Also oil the seal and axle tube before installing.

Brettw

If you plan to clean up and repack the diff, I would replace the springs right away. As far as I know they are still available, and they are fairly reasonable, maybe 4-5 bux each? The springs are what I have found to go, and when they do they can casue real havock.