Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery for 7016

SimpleFarmer

I have repowered my 7016 with a Briggs 18hp twin. Should I still use the 22NF battery? I have starter issues and need to replace the starter, relay, cables, and battery. Is anyone using a different battery successfully? Thanks for the help.

22NF battery is only one that you can hold in place with clamp, and am not sure about 51R. Is everything that corroded that you can't salvage anything?

Thanks BLT. I think you are right about the battery hold down clamp. Last season I put a new starter on the engine but did not replace the battery. It does not hold a charge so I put the charger on it every time I started it to get enough volts to start it. I think I may have damaged the starter because I cannot get it to turn over anymore. The starter will engage sometimes but that is all, it will not turn over the engine.

Check ground. If its an "onboard" starter, they ground through the engine block, which grounds through a motor mount bolt. I've seen them loosen, and cause all kinds of havoc. I was helping a neighbor (this probably qualifies for a "senior moment) fix his JD. I pulled the starter apart, and cleaned it out. Worked on the bench, put it back on the tractor, nothing. Put a new solenoid on...Nothing. Finally, checked an un-noticed wire...it went to the motor mount, which was loose. Tightened it up, and Voila! Started like new again! I had to sheepishly return a bunch of new parts

Also on the relay clean both the terminals and fasteners for rust and oxidation, both are insulators of sorts preventing the flow current.