Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
spi

defying the laws of gravity

spi

For the last 5 years I've had a B10 which was of limit6ed use because the gas wouldn't run down hill to the carburetor. I'd tried everything I could think of,new lines, larger lines, different filters, new gas caps, different carburetors. I mean everything! I'd even asked y'all and tried everything suggested.

Well, yesterday I Mickey Moused another tank so it was a straight shot down to the inlet and the engine ran great. I rode around and mowed, it ran great.

I took the original tank out, sat down and stared at it for a while, blew through the shut off valve and it was clear. No idea what to do.

Only thing I could come up with was to try a different valve. While I was pawing through a box of fittings I found one that would screw in but instead of a 90 this one went straight down. Long story short it worked! mowed the rest of the lawn and it ran great.

Sometimes you just trip over the answer. Who would have thunk it!

macallis180

How great that you found the answer - even after a long time.

I ran low on gas recently in my "new to me" B-110. Engine stopped going up a small ditch incline. Tank was not empty. Filled it up. Still stopped next time up the incline. Took a real close look at the gas line - saw a few air bubbles in line. Pulled line off the carb, drained till all bubbles were gone - guess what = runs fine up the incline now.

Yup, sometimes the solution is simpler than we think it might be.