Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My take on swapping in a 24hp Honda GX670

HoytBow1

I have older model tractors but looking at the mufflers there seems to indicate you don't run any front mounted implements, or maybe there are none for that model tractor?

quote:Originally posted by jrmorrill

I have older model tractors but looking at the mufflers there seems to indicate you don't run any front mounted implements, or maybe there are none for that model tractor?

id="quote">
id="quote">Yeah, if I wanted to use an attachment that uses a front clutch I'd have to do something different with the mufflers. I'd need to do something different then too because the shaft is bigger.I've had somewhere between 30 and 40 of these large frames including some older FDT/B series types but rarely used front clutch attachments. I had a front loader that used a front pump, a weedcutter, and some snow blowers but got rid of all of them. The weedcutter was impressive bur a bit dangerous. The front loader was too big for the tractor to really be useful and the blowers threw the gravel out of my drive.

• 1 month later...

Got an ad in the mail yesterday from Harbor Freight. They have the 22hp Predator engines on sale with coupon for $599. I have a 13hp Predator in a 916H that has worked well. Especially for the money. I expect you could use the same swap technique for the 22hp predator as I did for the 24hp honda.

It never crossed my mind to use those flanges for adapters. Did the spacing on the holes work out fine or did they need to be drilled? When I did my Predator 22hp swap I purchased a flywheel adapter from smallenginewarehouse.com and used their technical drawings to confirm the bolt spacing and thickness.

The Predator and GX670 are VERY similar. You can use Honda air and oil filters, the exhaust is spaced the same, and probably much more.

quote:Originally posted by rich_kildow

It never crossed my mind to use those flanges for adapters. Did the spacing on the holes work out fine or did they need to be drilled? When I did my Predator 22hp swap I purchased a flywheel adapter from smallenginewarehouse.com and used their technical drawings to confirm the bolt spacing and thickness. The Predator and GX670 are VERY similar. You can use Honda air and oil filters, the exhaust is spaced the same, and probably much more.

id="quote">
id="quote">Unfortunately, no, the floor flanges have 4 holes and don't match the driveshaft spacing. I drilled the 3 holes in the triangular pattern for the flywheel and use, if memory serves, 8mm bolts. The flange for the driveshaft required drilling and tapping for 3/8" bolts.I looked at the Small Engine Warehouse adapters but wasn't sure which one to get, they were expensive and not returnable. I actually work about a mile or so from their store but they don't have the inventory you'd think there and charge you shipping to ship from their warehouse 2 miles away to the store. I wanted to look at their Honda mufflers before buying one to be reasonably sure it would fit but they had none in the store and wanted to charge me shipping just to look at them. I said no thanks.

I should clarify, they wanted me to buy the muffler then charge shipping to return it if it didn't fit.