Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC makeover

Gcabinet1

Doing some work on my B110 I picked up a few weeks ago and want to paint the Sheetmetal , what kind of paint have you guys used. Don't want to go for my lungs on this but do want it to hold up fairly well.

I was thinking of using an oil based enamel. Also I see eBay has AC orange in Alkyed enamel that you can add a hardener to but that ends up at about $50 a qt.

Any thoughts

Thanks Gary

Some members are using JD new construction yellow from the JD dealers.

Part # for a quart is TY25640 Priced at $16.39

Part # for an aerosol can is TY25627 Priced at $ 9.19

You can use most good primers from DuPont, PPG, RustOleum, etc. On my tractors I use either PPG Omni/Shopline acrylic enamel for the yellow and have used OEM Simplicity paint before as well as Duplicolor for orange. If you're goimg with AC Orange you can get it at an AGCO dealer for a reasonable price. One of the most important steps in creating a durable finish is doing the proper prepwork. Having the metal stripped of all grease, rust, and old paint will make a big difference. If you have a good media-blast shop locally that may be a good option.

Mike Wells at Wells eguipment has a formula that is real close, actually Monte Carlo yellow. Unless your considering orange then Majic brand AC orange sold at TSC and other stores. Myself I used the yellow on my B 207 restore, acrylic enamel w/hardner, about $300 a gallon with hardner and reducer.

quote:Originally posted by tadams

Just don't use hardener without spray mask.

id="quote">
id="quote">I would go a step further and suggest not to spray any paints without a mask, even rattle cans. Wearing disposable gloves will also help to keep the paint from being adsorbed into your skin.