Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 Engine bench test

Doogie

I have a Simplicity 4040 that I now have the engine out of and would like to bench test it to make sure all is working before I sit it back in the tractor. Does anyone know or can someone tell me which (bare necessity) wires I need to hook up? I am also working with a tractor that when I bought it, was for the most part complete but also the engine had been removed prior so I did not do the disconnect of the existing wires. Some, well ok, most of the connectors are missing or broken which makes it that much more harder to figure out.

From what it looks like to me, there is (2) white colored wires and (1) black wire in a harness down by the starter. Currently one of the white wires runs up to the (I believe) oil sending unit, other white wire runs to the plug going to the voltage regulator, and the black wire runs to the same plug and then becomes a red wire to the voltage regulator. Off the coil negative side is a red wire running to the points and no other wires to the points. Can someone please tell me where or what wires I need to hookup to bench test this engine? With of course the starter wire hooked to the battery and I would be using a remote start switch to operate the starter.

Thanks in advance..

Do you have the Powermax Repair Manual?

It has a good wiring diagram for your tractor.

You have to have power to the ignition, battery connected to the starter and grounded to the block, and temp wire going to the starter solenoid.

Everything else can be ignored.

PM me your e-mail address and i will send the Powermax Repair Manual if you do not have it.

John U

Yes I do have the PowerMax repair manual. After looking more at it I believe I should be getting spark. With bare minimum I have positive straight off the battery to the positive side of the coil, I have positive also going to the red wire on the voltage regulator (which I don't think I even need for a bench test?) I have a good ground, but I don't get spark at the plugs. I think it might be the ignition coil and or the points. Is the ignition coil something that is available new?

Two things come to mind.

1. The coil is not like a typical automotive coil. Both plugs have to have a path to ground or they won't spark. Screw one plug in and connect it, then ground the other plug against the block and look for spark.

2. If no spark, connect a hot wire to the + side of the coil and momentarily ground the - side with a jumper wire, this will bypass the points and show if the coil is good, I would bet it is.

If you pass these tests, the problem is most likely the points.

John U

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far everything is going good. I believe my biggest problem was dirty points to this point. I had a few wires hooked up, and figured I was missing something on the bench test, but realized it was just the points. I have not gotten the wiring harness all replacement yet, so (fingers crossed) I hope the stator and voltage regulator is all in good shape. Still working the kinks out of everything though. My most current issue is not sure how the throttle is supposed to be hooked up. I have the Powermax manual, but I don't see a diagram that shows a good view of the 4040 throttle cable?? I am going to try and attach a picture to see if anyone knows what is missing or if something else is lacking from the tractor. Not sure though how to post the pic...... Thanks all for your help.

That would be great, cause I can not seem to upload a picture to show what I have. I have no idea what it is supposed to look like since I did not do the tear apart...

Pics need to be around 1K file size or they won't load. I reduce to about 600 x 450 and have no issues from there. Dave

Doogie, here is a pic I took of fuel filter but it shows the throttle cable coming out of the cooler and connecting to the pivot. I will try to take a pic of the governor linkage on the other side tomorrow.

Fram%20G1%20installed.jpg

Is yours a 4040? or something else? That is a different carb than what is on mine. Id attach a picture, but I think I have to contribute to be able to post a picture. I do not have the attachment icon above. The carb that is on my 4040 (which I have no idea if it is the correct one) has the air filter on top

I am not sure if the governor control has been fabricated up or if that is what it is supposed to look like. I wonder about how the springs are attached also??

Looks to me like all the springs are doing is holding the choke open or maybe used to close either way I don't see where they have a thing to do with the throttle. Anyway welcome to the club like Dave says best $10 ever spent

I don't even think they are holding the choke open or closed. They don't seem to have much tension to them. I guess they have something to do with the governor, but I don't know if they are supposed to be there, and I can not see a place to mount a throttle cable?

The pics I posted are from a 19.5 horse with the side draft carb. I will look at my other tractor to see if it is the same as your pic.

Seems like the choke should be connected to a manual cable with pull lever or knob. The governor linkage may not be too far off but you need a diagram or pic of what an original setup looks like then need to get it adjusted so it works. Do you have the Onan service manuals?

I do have a CCKA engine manual. Not sure if that is the one I would be needing, but I do not see anything in it that shows a good picture of the throttle cable hookup.

One thing that kind of concerns me is the picture of the governor arm in the CCKA manual that I have shows it being connected from the bottom side of the bracket and currently it is coming from the top down. Not sure what is all wrong. Does not seem to be lining up good, as the governor rod rubs sometimes on the breather housing. Maybe the bracket needs to be adjusted or bent?

service manual for 616/620 should have pics of carb and linkage on 616 don't believe parts manual would show location.

Ok got a chance this evening to look and on page B-6 figure 4shows a ruff picture of carb and linkage for the 616 show choke cable location.

Page B-9 shows a better picture.

I'm going to try this

DSCN0807.JPG

DSCN0808.JPG

These are pictures from my manual, I don't know how to scan and download so hope these work

DSCN0807.JPG.54c55e165b0df3e7bb818fc54e5329b9.JPG

DSCN0808.JPG.76952a00b234366398882913f5d2e7ee.JPG

Thank you for the pictures. That reassures me that I am missing some parts. The bracket that the throttle cable attaches to and the connector or what ever it is called to connect to the throttle control rod. Anyone happen to have or know of where I can get these parts?