Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
HerbP

mower deck pulley bolt

Recommended Posts

HerbP

It's May Long weekend up here in Canuckistan.. That generally means rain and snow and the weather didn't disappoint. So I figured I'd give one of my 7016H's some much needed love including some new lift cables. I have a crimper and some thimbles and some nice shiny new stainless steel wire rope. So I got down to work.

Well, I couldn't get the bolt out for the pulley that lifts the mower deck. I was puzzled but after some fiddling, it came out. Now it's obvious to me why it was that it didn't just slide out:

https://goo.gl/photos/zPLFuHHK9suZCABS6

I took one off my parts tractor and sure enough, it had threads that went the whole way.

This one was probably only 3 or 4 years away from failing completely. Caught it just in time. I thought some of you might enjoy that photo and it might remind someone to check theirs.

Happy summer, folks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kenzen

Wow...I just changed the rear lift cable on my 917H, and the pulley bolt came right out...and then the pulley fell on face and gave me a bloody swollen lip...mark May 23 as the day not to play with the lift pulleys...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrSteele

A crew on a furnace repair job, removed one of the door sheave shafts (9,000 lb door, 1 1/4" shaft) that looked like that. I had monthly PM records that said the maintenance department had checked it and seen no problems. Due to that, an overkill order went to change the shafts every 6 months or so, to keep my maintenance dept from lying. Off subject, but it happens to all of us. Lubrication would help, but in the furnace and on top of a mower deck, there is too much dust and dirt to lube, as it will only attract more dust and dirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrSteele

A crew on a furnace repair job, removed one of the door sheave shafts (9,000 lb door, 1 1/4" shaft) that looked like that. I had monthly PM records that said the maintenance department had checked it and seen no problems. Due to that, an overkill order went to change the shafts every 6 months or so, to keep my maintenance dept from lying. Off subject, but it happens to all of us. Lubrication would help, but in the furnace and on top of a mower deck, there is too much dust and dirt to lube, as it will only attract more dust and dirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • SmilinSam
    • BLT
    • rokon2813
    • GregB
    • Bear
    • a_sannine
  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

    • SonOfCreepfeed

      SonOfCreepfeed

      Thinkin' about this old girl.

      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

      Dean McFadden

      Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁
       

      · 1 reply
  • Adverts

×