Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

48" Deck Eyebolt

Kenzen

My mower deck started making unhealthy grinding sounds, so I tore it open to discover (a new learning experience and an unfortunate state of disrepair) the deck idler pulley arm pivot is seized up. The idler was pivoting on the hole in the deck itself rather than on the bushing. I removed it, put it in a vice, hit it with a torch, and tried to break it free. However, I think I torqued it a bit too much and twisted the eyebolt a bit, so I believe I'm going to have to trash the eyebolt to free it up. It's soaking with some PB Blaster right now, and I'm crossing my fingers.

So then I looked up the availability/price for the part and it's a $28 part. :drl

So the golden question is has anybody simply used a normal 3/8"-16 eyebolt with a nut at the top for a stop?

And I sold a guy a tractor with a brand new one and what did he do? He threw the mower deck in the scrap bin:O

A Big Box grade of eyebolt will last a few weeks, possibly. Any of the ones on the McMaster Carr link that says "not for lifting" is a soft bolt, grade 2 or so, if graded at all. The ones graded for lifting, will work, pick a size and length, or go to a good local rigging or bolt store, and hand select

Thanks for all the advice - the McMaster products we're definately a better option cost-wise. However, I did manage to salvage the eyebolt, thanks to my 20 Ton HF press. I double nutted the threaded part of the bolt to keep from distorting it, put the eye end into a deep socket, and pressed the eyebolt out. I was then able to clean out the bushing (which was still in the bracket) with a 5/8" reamer, and the other end on a bench grinder with a wire wheel. Some axle grease, reassemble, and it all went back together as it should. This deck definately needs an overhaul this winter...

Hello, The mcmaster carr eye bolt may work . When I think of the (not for lifting ) recommendation, It is not designed for over head lifting where failure could be catastrophic! A 100 LB mower deck should be OK. I appreciate the conversations on this site and am always learning something.

Thanks Ken in Mi

I added a grease fitting to the deck idler pulley pivot on my mower. I did this by welding a 1/4" nut where the fitting would clear the mower belt and then drilling through. It helps if greased every year or so.

Tom