Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Value of 1998 sovereign

stroh

I have a 1998 agco-allis garden tractor that I would never sell. It developed an oil leak, and I thought it would be no problem to fix. As it turned out this tractor has an 18hp kohler triad engine. It is an ohc only produced for a few years, and there is no replacement engine. The engine runs fine but it will have to taken apart to fix the leak or replaced. This is beyond my abilities and after talking with my local dealer it would cost too much to reconfigure a new engine. He told me that someone on this site was working on a way to replace the engine. Is there anyone out that can give me an idea how much it is worth. The tractor is solid as rock . I would like to someone who a tractor lover who will try to bring it back get the tractor. Thanks stroh.

Stroh,

Where are you located. It is possible someone on this site would do the engine swap for you for a lot less than a shop would charge.

John U

Last fall I went thru the Triad to Command swap and purchased all the parts necessary. For assistance, send me an email at w.crusan@att.net

Many on this site have fixed the "leaky" TH engines. It would be your least expensive fix.

I don't have one, but there are many TH engines running strong if they have been "fixed".

This site has a wealth of info, just search for Triad or TH engine.

Thanks for all the responses guys. After talking with my local dealer,I decided I would replace the 918h with a comparable tractor, and he recommended the simplicity prestige. I checked Craigslist just to see what was out there. A guy was selling a 2014 prestige with only 50hrs on it for a good price. I had to act in a day or it would be gone so bought it.

I live in eastern Connecticut . The oil leak is in the center of the engine under a valve cover where it goes into the engine. I replaced the valve cover gasket and spring gasket, but that did not fix the leak.

If the leak is in the center of the engine under the "VALLEY" (and not the valve cover), then the breather reed valve broke. Simple and cheap fix.

Stroh, if your looking to sell the 918, I might be interested and I also live in CT. There's a fair size pocket of us here in state. Welcome to the club, Dave

P.S. Just looked at your profile & noticed you've been a member since 2003. A man of few words!:o)

thanks for all your responses guys. yes dave i found and joined the site after i purchased allis. i am not very tractor knowledgeable so over the yrs i have visited and mostly just read and learned from others. i would actually like to keep the 918 if i could get it repaired for not too much cost and hand it down to my son-in-law. if not i will probably sell it, but it would have to be to another tractor enthusiast that is why i post here and not anywhere else. this tractor has been my baby for almost 15ys.

thanks again, don

If you do end up selling, please keep me in mind. I'm looking for a later model sovereign / 900 series with a bad motor. I stumbled across a killer deal on a nearly new kohler command, that is begging to be put in something.