Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
keifer2k3

6116 overheating

keifer2k3

Hi, guys.. tractors acting up... I went to mow today and checked the oil and it was lower than usual..I topped it off and started mowing. Soon afterwards it began smoking horribly. Shut it off, checked the oil, now it's way over the mark..so I drain all the oil, refill, clean plugs.. and it starts up, smokes a little, the smoke clears and I start mowing. Then about 10 min. in I start losing power, rpms, and starts chugging n back firing. I clean air intake n fins but overheats minutes after starting.. is there an oil pump? Never acted like this before...would appreciate hearing what you guys think. I'm miles away from dealer unfortunately help...

steve-wis

Hi,

Assuming you have a 16 hp opposed twin briggs. I have noticed on mine that the oil level needs to be checked cold, and it will read way overfull on the stick until you wipe it off and check it again. As far as overheating, I would check to be sure air is getting around the heads and cylinders, no plugging from mice or grass clippings. As far as losing power, sounds like it may be only running on one cylinder when that happens. How do the plugs look? If you can, check for spark at each plug when it is running rough and see if you have spark at both.

This is where I would start, maybe others will have other suggestions.

Steve

keifer2k3

Ok thanks, the fins and air intake are clean but there's some gunk build up at base. I definitely over filled it, so I may have ruined a plug. The plugs had to cleaned and dryed after overfill, they looked pretty rough, I'll replace those, clean it up real well. See where that gets me. The oil I drained after over filling was very thin and seemed to have gas in it. One other thing, there was oil in the bottom of the air filter pan, so oil must have shot through carburetor. Wish me luck :)

I'm not looking for instructions to rebuild, if need be I have another engine. But I am worried it may be internal which would be more than I can fix. It is the twin cylinder Steve, I should have made that clear sorry.

GrincheyOne

Check the crankcase breather. If you have a filler tube, remove the dipstick and place your hand over the open tube when the engine is running, you SHOULD NOT FEAL PRESSURE FROM THE TUBE. If you do the breather is malfunctioning.