Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

carriage bolt cut or grind?

392chryslerhemi

Anybody have suggestions on cutting through a 3/8" carriage bolt on a mower deck? I only have about a 1/4" of play between the head of the bolt and the nut so I don't think I could get a pair of bolt cutters in there. I was thinking I could grind the head off? What kind of grinder would I need for this? Thanks, Ryan

Slow but effective is a dremel tool with a cutting wheel. I'd use an angle grinder with a thin cutting wheel to take the head off - slice into the center of it a few times to cut away the head from the shaft of the bolt.

As Kenzen said, a thin cutting wheel is a great way to do this. If you are concerned about staying off the metal, a low grit flap wheel like 60, 80, or 100 will grind that head off VERY quickly. I find flap wheels easier to control when grinding small pieces compared to the rigid grinding disk.

Cutting desk is a good choice I also use your reciprocating saw with a hacksaw blade or a cutting torch and in some cases the device no one has a nutcracker to split the nut.

All the above, and as a last resort, that I used when flipping the wear plate on my dozer blade, using a 24" breaker-bar just tighten until the bolt shears. }:):o)sm00

Wayne

Thanks for the info. Think I will give the dremel a try first. If nothing else, Wayne that's possibly just crazy enough to work #128522;

When I strip a mower deck, I try to tighten and break all the carriage bolts. Usually faster, easier and less frustrating.

In a situation like this I also just twist the bolts off. A lot easier than grinding or cutting! That's one time where I like the feel of the bolt giving way! Other times not so much.

one other approach, center punch the bolt head, and sarting with a 1/4" bit drill into the head, then follow with a 3/8 to 7/16" bit to remove the head from the shank.

else, back to the "shear" joy of breaking it off. hopefully it is not a grade-8 bolt. Which, seems to be a popular response to this topic.sm00