Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

greasing a mower deck

392chryslerhemi

How many grease zerts on a simplicity 48" mower deck? I've seen the three under the deck near the blades but are there others? Also what kind of grease should I use? Thanks, Ryan

The three under the deck put grease into the spindle housings, but the bearings are sealed so it doesn't grease the bearings, only there to keep moisture out so they don't rust too bad. I grease any I have once a year, three or four pumps per spindle. Otherwise, there are points that should be oiled once in a while, they should be identified in your operators manual. If you don't have the manual, go to the simplicitymfg.com site, and have your mfg. number handy, either for the deck or the tractor. You can download manuals there for free.

Steve

quote:Originally posted by 392chryslerhemi

Thanks guys. For the idler, do you just apply a few drops to the pivot?

id="quote">
id="quote">There may be a zerk on the pivot. If not then a few drops of oil will do. I have applied grease to the surfaces when I had the pivot apart on my older deck without the zerk.

Older decks (maybe prior to the mid 1980's) did not have grease fittings on the idler arms. I have installed grease fittings on a few but most of the time when I get a deck, the idler busing is froze up and I have to disassemble it for cleaning and lubrication. I use whatever grease is handy but something that resists water is good.

When I rebuilt my deck, the idler pivot didn't have a zerk so I cut some shallow grooves in the bushing. Place them in a spiral pattern, and criss cross two grooves. The grooves hold grease for a lot longer than the clearance between the two parts.

When I rebuilt my 48" deck, I drilled and tapped the idler pivot and installed a grease zerk; something Simplicity should have done in the first place..

Tom (PK)