Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower deck mod

huffy

I was reading on another site about attaching rubber or baler belting around the perimeter of a mowing deck, sticking down a couple inches. From what the author said, it reduces blow back (cut grass getting on top of the deck) and increases suction to create a cleaner cut. Has anyone here ever tried this?

I have a deck that someone did just the front. In normal grass I don't think it does much for the suction, maybe a little for the blowback.

In taller grass, it holds the grass down longer so some doesn't get cut.

At this point, I won't take the effort to remove it, but I wouldn't make the effort to add any either. JMO

Been considering adding it to back of my Exmark decks to aid in stripping, they both strip nice now but was going to try on one. to put on front I would think would just push grass down as Dan says and would not cut. Just my $.02

My father reworked a Cub Cadet some years back by cutting an inch or so off the front of the deck. Not a great move for blowback, but the grass he could cut went from 8-10" to ??" What it caused was for me to have to remote mount an air cleaner behind the seat and run a hose to the engine. The increase in clippings near the front of the engine would close up the intake before a tank of gas was burned. The rubber might improve suction or striping, but will reduce the height of grass able to cut when placed on the front of the deck. Then you could have what I call a mower to cut grass that doesn't need cut, or, a mulching ddeck.