Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Did the early 900 series AC's run snowblowers off

HoytBow1

the front PTO?

Struck a deal on a pair of tractors tonight. One is a 917H and the other a 7117H. The 917h has a mechanical front PTO clutch. I've seen a few of those on 700/7000 series tractors but this is the first I've come across on a 900 series.

The owner said his father in law bought the AC new that way with a snow blower.

All the 900/7100 machines I've seen with blowers ran off the center PTO with a long arse belt.

Thanks.

Oh, and both tractors have hydro lift, rear lift groups, were garage kept, and mostly dealer serviced. Both look great. I paid for them though. No steals. 48" deck, 42" deck, 36" tiller. 7117 has a KT series II. Unsure about the 917. Probably a KT series I. No series II markings.

To the best of my knowledge, all Simplicity 7100's and AC 900's came with the "newer" center PTO that has the "V" pulley attached to the frame and only the back side idler pulley "swings" for tension. The frame mounted pulley is adjusted to keep the PTO belt tension "in the green".

If your tractors have the newer style center PTO, then they are designed to run the snow blower from the center PTO.

That said, I've seen one 7100 series tractor with a front mechanical PTO. It was a way for dealers to sell off the older two pulley snow blower hitch and the front mechanical PTO that was used with it.

Bill,

Do you know if the 900/7100 front PTO machines would have needed a longer engagement rod than the 700/7000 series or would it be the same?

Thanks for the link Bill. Really don't need anything I was just curious as I had not seen a 900 series with a mechanical front PTO before. I don't have any front attachments that need it at the moment.

I think the front PTO clutch was only available as an option on the 900 and 7100 series in the early years. Later on, it was no longer available. The center PTO handled everything.