Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cone clutch

RichB

A guy gave me a 17gth-l; I got it running and it runs well. But I cam get cone clutch off.

cone clutch is shot. I of several pullers but I can not the cone clutch off. can anyone give me hints of getting the cone clutch off.

Are you trying to pull it all off at once or just the plate with lining. The plate should come off easily with a puller as long as the woodruff key isn`t messed up. If trying to pull the whole assembly at once, it isn`t going to happen. There is a retaining ring between the pulley and woodruff key.

Well I just got the cone clutch off. what do use for an liner. I have some leather. Is that what I can use for a liner?

Well I bought a new cone clutch. I think I am ready to go. I have to calibrate the cone clutch. That is what I am going to do next.

From my experience, whenever I have had a cone clutch on the BGB to go out, it has been because the bearing in the clutch has gone bad. I have replaced several of those and they are special and can only be purchased from Simplicity. There is a very thin sleeve inside the inner race and that is the primary failure point.

For the clutch lining I have been using leather. It usually takes ab out 6 pieces to get the conical shape right. I glue it in with contact cement, I think I used Formica countertop cement. Still working great after three years and much cheaper than the new ones from Simplicity.