Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A few questions...

Delerion02

Got a few questions...

-Which carb is original to d23? 3 bolt, 4 bolt, neither

-Does anyone know what bolts torque for head and oil pan for big ten 10hp 243431?

-When putting back on the magnito armature(if that's what it's called) it slides back and forth until its tighten. How do I know where to slide it or does it not matter much. I would assume it could effect timing slightly.

The 23D used the 3 bolt carb and the air gap on the magneto is .010 - .014.

Torque spec. for a 5/16-18 bolt are 11 ft. lbs. for a grade 2 bolt, 17 ft. lbs. for a grade 5 and 25ft. lbs. for a grade 8. Hope this helps.

Thank you.

So currently I have a 4 bolt carb on my d23, I have acquired a 3 bolt recently. Would it run smoother with 3 bolt or does it not really matter?

The Magnito I use a business card to gap. My question is the bracket that holds the magnito. It has 4 bolts and slides around. I can see the bolt marks so I could just line it up with those. I was just curious how to make sure it's right.

Rad long as you use a business card to gap it, it should be okay. The thickness of a business card is about a ten thousandth which is what the specifications say.

Thanks Chris, that is good to know about my d23. I don't plan on taking that one apart soon though, I was curious about the carb for that one. It has a 4 bolt carb on it right now, I've acquired a 3 bolt through chance. I was wondering if the 3 bolt would make it perform better?

• 2 weeks later...

The mags usually have an instruction sheet in the package, printed on roughly 20# paper, the norm for most modern printers. The instructions say to space the mag 3 thicknesses of the paper from the flywheel. That is less than the thickness of my cards, and is how I set my mags. Never had a problem with this setting.

As for the difference in how your engine runs with a 3 or 4 bolt carb, you should notice no difference. I have a 16 hp, a 12 and a 10, and 1 carb. I use it on all, just adjust til the engine runs right

I cannot answer if a 4 bolt would make it run smoother or not but there is something to be said for original equipment if performance is the same.

I picked up a 64 Landlord last year and had to tear the 23D down to work on it as there was many years worth of mouse nesting in/around that engine.

The one thing I am missing is the throttle linkage for the carb. Been playing around with one from another carb but have yet to get it setup just right. If you have the original for the 3 bolt carb can you give me an overall length and maybe a pic so I can see where the bends go?

Not to hijack the thread but given the info above on the gap setting for the armature I suspect I set mine up incorrectly after cleaning up the engine. The engine starts a bit hard and runs poorly and I have not yet figure out why but I suspect an air gap of .10 rather than .22 - .26 might have something to do with it.

What effect would too close of a gap be?