Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

how much paint?

dav

was going to buy epoxy primer to do a B-1. don't know how much I will need. the tractor will be disassembled and primed, then reassembled and finish painted. I wanted to finish it in Imron but vendor 2 says it is not sold anymore due to epa stuff

1st paint shop (ppg) said $301 for a gallon of paint, the hardener, and a gallon of thinner.

2nd store (brand unknown) said about $125 in off brand products (like just using regular laquer thinner)(the guy also said Obama isn't American and is leaving the country when he is out of office- to move to Hawaii so I am a bit uncomfortable with any information he gave me)

the 3rd local auto paint supplier has gone out of business. darn!

so my questions are; how much primer do I need? and, do those prices sound reasonable? (I haven't painted anything for over 20 years)

Sounds incredibly expensive. Is that some kind of urethane or is it just acrylic enamel? I bought quart of PPG acrylic enamel last year for around $45 and that was for metallic paint which is usually more expensive. Yellow is a basic color and should be cheaper yet. I would think $30-$35 a quart for PPG Shop Line. I haven't bought the hardener or reducer for 9 years but then it was around $25 for a gallon of reducer and around $19 for hardener.

Chris I paid $285 for acrylic enamel to paint My 207. paint hardner and reducer, believe it's like anything else you get what you pay for. Just my $.02

The materials for painting the cap of my truck would have been about $125. Auotmotive paint, primer hardner, etc. PPG products. Unless I was creating a true show tractor, I could never justify nearly $300 in paint. I would be too afraid of using it.

Josh:

He's talking about epoxy primer, like what Ray uses and what I bought when I re-painted my Legacy. It's very, very good stuff. But, it ain't cheap.

Everyone has their own opinions, and welcome to them, and it's your money and tractor to do with what you wish.

I never could understand the desire for expensive paint jobs on a tractor.

My opinion; It's just a tractor, not a 20,000 show car, and the factory didn't use that great a paint. I don't think they even used primer at all.... and there are tractors out there with 50 year old paint still looking pretty good.

quote:I never could understand the desire for expensive paint jobs on a tractor.id="quote">
id="quote">Dan:The Simplicity paint I ordered from Briggs was like $26 for a quart. The epoxy primer that I bought was like $80, I think. (The OP is talking about buying gallon amts, which I think will be way more than he needs). For $106 in materials, I'm very happy with it. And I think it was worth the $.The factory paint with no primer is okay if you're just mowing. But if you're using the tractor for snowblowing, it ain't good at all. Here's what factory paint and no primer gets you after a few years out in the wet heavy snow we get up here:

Grill and hood.jpg

seat pan and tunnel.jpg

tail light 2.jpg

tail light.jpg

Having used it for a few years now, I really, really like that epoxy primer, and would spend the $ again in a heartbeat to put it on anything that I'm going to be using out in the snow. But, as you said, to each his own.

57e062c847c6f_Grillandhood.jpg.1a1daf3cabfbb81b1c7217b9c5ea753e.jpg

57e062c85ce10_seatpanandtunnel.jpg.1b669732d343a310c551e2b07f43f7f2.jpg

57e062c86c9fe_taillight2.jpg.8241636348af3dccfad65b86a711ad43.jpg

57e062c87d841_taillight.jpg.2eaf109a67f9b8ecdf22a6b0b787e3d5.jpg

I'm of the opinion to do it right, do it once. Yes, its a garden tractor, but if I'm going to put all the time in to tear it apart, clean it up, and repaint it...I'm darn sure going to use good materials to do so. I don't like doing rework...and my time is pretty valuable to me.

That being said, to help out with the OP's problem...I think 300 bucks is a little high. You mentioned Imron...IIRC that is for marine use, which would be overkill in your application...unless you plan on storing your restored project in the weather? I'd investigate something like this...

http://www.eastwood.com/body-filler-epoxy-primer-kit.html

For 165 bucks, its every thing you need.

I've personally used POR-15 as a base coat over sandblasted metal...the stuff is as tough as nails. Like I had to chase threads where I painted over bolt holes in the last deck I did.

POR is expensive too, plus you still need a primer, if you plan on painting a top coat. The primer doesn't have to be anything crazy though, as its adhering to the POR not the metal.

I painted my 2110 with about 2 quarts of paint. It was an enamel from Rural King. Has some scratches and such, but the paint still looks good.

Depends on what you want, mine will never see grass as long as I own it. as for my 620 I use in business it has Majic paint from Quality farm and home and yes it looks good but wanted my B 207 to be a show piece and spending the amount I did is small compared to the results I've gotten. just remember not everyone can afford the expensive paints and that you get what you pay for. Just my $.o3 since I've already commented on this subject.

Originally posted by huffy
quote:
id="quote">Most of the Factory paint Josh was talking about was the good old stuff, LEAD based. Your legacy was painted with powder coat from the factory. That's part of why it did not last. Simplicity had very poor quality powder coat in the '90s to early 2000's. It also fades terribly because there was not adequate UV protectant in the paint. Take a look at those '90s trade-ins sitting on a Simplicity dealer lot for a year or longer. They probably all look very aged. I think the new ones have better paint.

Our local Fleet Farm store has "tractor" paint. It is an acrylic enamel. IIRC the quarts are $12 and the hardener is $15.

The acrylic enamel and hardener is a very good combination. It's tough enough and durable with a pretty good shine.

They had three different colors of Allis paint along with the various colors of all the other brand of tractors. Unless you are death on the correct color for a simplicity I would bet you could find a match that is close enough.

I want to say the bran ws Old 55 but I'm not positive on that.

Ken