Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis T-811 - Simplicity 6216 Trans Swap

DandyEconomy71

I have the T811, but the transmission is worn and will not stay in 2nd gear or reverse. I removed the rear wheels, which are on hubs mounted to keyed 1" driveshafts.

I want to swap in a trans from a 6216 a friend has as a parts machine (he stole the engine and some other parts off it a while back), but I do not know how to remove the trans from this one.

The hub plates are welded onto the ends of the driveshafts coming out of the transmission. The right hand side shaft goes through a hole in the rear housing sheet metal, and the hub will not fit through there. How do you pull the trans on this one? Is there a clip that needs to be removed inside the trans to let that shaft free?

I don't really know how to fix the T811s transmission, but am wondering if I would be better off just fixing it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Errol

I don't remember for sure, but it seems to me that there are plates bolted to the housing at the axle location that unbolt and slip down and off, and then the tranny drops out of the side plates. I know this is the case for the 6011 tractor and am pretty sure it is for yours too. I have an Allis T816 and can take a look at mine later on if you need me too.

Steve

Well, I did get out and looked at my T816 and I see what you mean. I am not sure off hand how it would come apart, but am assuming the axle shaft would need to come out of the tranny. Sorry I can't be more help, maybe someone else can chime in and offer more info.

Steve

• 4 months later...

I ended up buying a parts machine and put the rear end from that one into my tractor.  The hubs are rusted tight to the axles on this one.  I have two 6000 series transmission/differential assemblies now in my garage.  I split one with the intention of repairing it, it jumps out of reverse, but wasn't sure how to fix it once I got it apart, so it has just sat split.  I wonder if I could find information on how to repair it in a service manual?  I have never seen one of those.