Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering slop

bgosh

What does it take to get the slop out of my steering wheel of my wards GT. It turns an awful lot before the wheels will move. Thank You for any help on this. Stan ngr2

You would have to "follow" it to see where the slop is.

Could be tie rod ends, loose set screw or key at the spindle, in the steering gears, steering u joint at the bottom of the steering shaft, or all of the above.

I actually did that and what I could see was most of it was where the gears turned a lot before any wheel movement,but I could not see anywhere to adjust this. That universal joint looks to be in pretty good shape and both of those sq head bolts are tight.

The key, keyway wear on the shaft of the pie shaped gear, if that is the case, you will be able to see the gear move before the nut moves, and depending on your model, the pin or shaft in the smaller gear is adjustable to move the gears closer together

I am not sure what model wards I have. Actually I never gave it a thought on the model as back in the 50s I didn't think they made too many models. My bad.I was looking thru my paper work that I have and couldn't find any pics of that particular area which seems strange as they really document the rest of the tractor very good.I think those gears are meshing pretty good. Thanks Stan

I was just tracking this same problem down on one of my 7100 tractors and was amazed to find all of it in the steering wheel to steering shaft fit. The wrong size bolt/pin is in there and there is all sorts of slop...sometimes it's easier/dumber than you first thought.

quote:I was just tracking this same problem down on one of my 7100 tractors and was amazed to find all of it in the steering wheel to steering shaft fit. The wrong size bolt/pin is in there and there is all sorts of slopid="quote">
id="quote">

It must be that someone has replaced the steering wheel and jury rigged a different wheel. I don't believe the 7100 series had a through bolt.

I decided to go back and look in the paper that I have and found this .It is a model 725 model 19 B&S Type706047 Serial 660929. I also found the exploded parts list for FRONT WHEELS,AXLE,TIE ROD&STEERING but alas I can't see or understand what I NEED TO FIX MY PROBLEM.What I have is the original Simplicity instructions and parts list. Thank You Stan sm02

Look at this thread. See my picks about the wear in where the wedge gear slides onto the eccentric pin. That might be part (or a lot) of your problem. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=145410&SearchTerms=steering

I think most likely you've got wear in that area and some others. A little wear there, a little wear in your tie rod ends, a little wear in the U-joint, etc, etc, etc . . . it all adds up to one heck of a lot of slop. As Dan (Rokon) said, the slop probably isn't all coming from one majorly worn out thing, but a little wear on a lot of things.

The early 7100/900 (1979-1980) had a through bolt on the steering wheel just like the 7000/700 series, as they used the same steering wheel (flat not dished).

If this is really a Simplicity Landlord, or model 725 or 700 that was made before on or before 1964 it has the early steering gears, no eccentric cam to adjust. They are just gear to gear. When they wear, they wear out in the hole the steering shaft pivot & the other gear pivot hole. These had no bearings, just a hole drilled in the steel for the gears to pivot in. Either buy a good used set on ebay or the classifieds here or have a machine shop install bearings.

Pics would help a lot to identify better though. If this is a Simplicity it should have a model# & serial# behind the seat in the middle. This link may help. Good luck.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=128887&SearchTerms=landlord

quote:Originally posted by MikeES

The early 7100/900 (1979-1980) had a through bolt on the steering wheel just like the 7000/700 series, as they used the same steering wheel (flat not dished).

id="quote">
id="quote">There were also dished type softer plastic steering wheels on the 900/7100 series that were bolt through too.

id="quote">

I knew this. I was just checking to see if you all were payin' attention. :o)

Update on this.After making a puller and then taking the arm off I found the wood ruff key in bad shape so I replaced it and what I really found out was the square head set screw opposite the one at the key was bottoming out and would not tighten enough anymore.Replaced that with a grade 5 bolt and now it is in much better shape. I did not get all of it out but am happy with the results.Now if I could get that arm off on the opposite side of the lifting arm so I could fix those elongated holes I would feel better.I will have to do some head scratching to come up with some kind of puller for that as I am not having any luck getting it to move. Stan

I had one broadmoor with sector gear wear a while back that was worn heavily in the center of travel so much that if it was tightened up it would bind at 2/3 travel both sides. Something to consider/check when tightening up.