Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 4041 brakes locked

Gcabinet1

Does anyone know how to unlock the brakes on a 4041

And are there any service manuals on line.

Thanks Gary

Has the machine been sitting outside or did they lock from heavy pedal pressure? one that I bought had locked rear wheels and I was able to break them free. Manuals are available online but if you can't find you could pm me your email address and I could send.

Not sure I just got it and they were locked judging by the looks it was from sitting.

What did you do to free?

Thanks. isetta

I recall that at least some models had an emergency brake lever. You depressed the brake pedals and pulled the lever up to lock them in place.

Gary, when I bought my 620 it seemed like the brakes were locked to but turned out to be the rearend as it got water in it and had set up. After a good cleaning and new oil it freed up and is ok now. May not be your problem but just a thought. My thinking would be to put trans in neutral and pull it around and see what happens. The brakes on these tractors were never anything to right home about anyway. Just my $.02

Thanks guys

Opened up the brakes and they were almost welded together with rust,got the one side mostly cleaned up .

Must have been sitting for quite some time.

A little more to take apart then reassemble .

Then the other side. Not the easiest brakes to take apart!

Thanks guys

Opened up the brakes and they were almost welded together with rust,got the one side mostly cleaned up .

Must have been sitting for quite some time.

A little more to take apart then reassemble .

Then the other side. Not the easiest brakes to take apart!

Good to hear you are making progress. Don't be dissapointed if they don't work very well once you get them back together because as many have found they just don't work all that well. I never use them, just use the hydro lever