Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

720 skipping when hot

rocks70

my 720 with the onan 19.5 hp starts to skip and run otta power when hot? the exhaust gasket is shot above the cylinder head so its leaking exhaust would that do it?

I'm not sure what to tell ya , mine started acting up and I changed both and reset points and timing and cured it. Also replaced head gaskets cause mine was leaking, I planed the heads and haven't had a issue since. I would have thought someone else would had chimed in by now with there remedy. this is just what worked for me. just a question, do you have all the shielding on tractor ? you may want to check the coil to.

On my 720,I think the points plunger is worn. When the gap gets narrow, the engine loses power. I should probably remove it and measure it.

It's very possible, the points box twists just a little when it gets hot, there for throughing of the timing

I would replace the intake and exhaust gaskets. It is quite possible you have a vacuum leak when it gets hot. I had one that only ran on 1 cylinder because of a vacuum leak.

John U

i agree with john since the points are new and so is the plunger.i also think its a vacuum leak.ordered new intake and exhaust gaskets.