Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 won't turn over

Gcabinet1

So the 4041 I bought last week won't turn over

Battery is good, when I turn the key with the front and rear clutch switch in the on position they click, but when I turn them off I hear nothing.

Someone connected the safty switch wires together.

Where should I start? Don't want to pull the engine to get at the starter unless I have to.

Thanks Gary

I would jump at starter plug, (believe it's the white wire in plug) to see if it will turn over. check the terminals on the ignition switch. Have you tried wiggling the PTO switches when turning the key? check all the safety switches. just my $.02

when my 620 has that problem I reach in from the side unplug the wires from the sign switch plug it back in and it starts sometimes just moving the plug works

quote:Originally posted by Gcabinet1

I am only aware of the neutral safety switch on the trans.Are there others?

id="quote">
id="quote">The PTO switches have to be off as part of the safety switches. Wiggle the safety switches and try the starter.John U

1. Make sure hydro lever is in neutral position, 2. Make sure you have a good battery, 3: Toggle PTO switches on and off a few times and leave them in off position, then start. You should also confirm your regulator and rectifier are grounded. I recommend returning any cobbled wiring in the safety / starting circuit to stock configuration so all safeties are operational. Could be a starter issue but more likely is corroded or loose connectors in the safety /. Starting circuit. Let's us know how you do

Ok so this is what I know so far

it's not the starter,l by passed the white wire and it turns right over.

It's not the rear pto or the front pto they are both turning on and off correctly, when turned on the ammeter shows discharge when turned off no discharge .

The trans neutral switch wires are soldered together ,so don't see how it could be that. Could it be a short in the white wire as when I turn the key to the on position a get a discharge on the ammeter of about 1 to 2 amps,or is that the oil light draw . Or ignition switch? What would you guys check next?

Thanks again for all your help!

Keep in mind the PTO switches are double pole, just because the PTO engages does not mean the safety interlock side is makeing contact.

You need to use a DVM and trace out the safety interlock circuit to find the problem.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the tractor? If not PM me.

John U

I pulled the dash and yes you were right ,I messed with the pto switch wires and voila the old girl turns over now.

Put some starter fluid in each cylinder and she even fired up for a few seconds

Now it carburetion time.

Thanks so much for all your help guys.

Gary

Gary if needed call Mattie Bellamy at Zenith fuel systems she will put you in contact with someone in your area on caburators, new ones are available if needed.