Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Arbor pulley question

bobj

Trying to find keyway and/or set screw holding small pulley at center mow deck arbor. The deck is an older one in great shape, has a couple of paper patent number tags on it. Id tag in great shape, just can't read the numbers. Pulley seems to have an odd looking collar on it, see pic.

http://rowleycorvette.com/pulley.jpg

Thanks, Bob

42 inch deck, its white all original, Allis I guess, pretty old vintage, has patent numbered paper tags on it. I use it on a 3416H

Bob J.

Did you look in the groove where the belt rides? Most of the set screws are in there. Not sure what the collar is. Could it be a spacer?

Yes, I don't believe that style of pulley has a set screw. The "collar" you are seeing appears to be the center hub of the pulley.

I've yet to find a key, am thinking the collar may have been a shrink fit w/o use of a key. I was thinking of cutting the retainer next to the spot welds, remove it, then heat the collar and push or pull the pulley away. The retainer could be mig welded back after bearings have been replaced. Thanks for the input.

If its anything like my deck, which came from a 3410, the keys are of the woodruff variety. So, that notch you see is the keyway on the pulley, and the metal in there is the woodruff key. There were no setscrews. Since you're replacing bearings anyway, the "hot wrench" will be your best bet. Heat that collar on the pulley, and get some penetrating oil in there. After a couple cycles, you'll probably have to use a press. Mine were really stuck, and I used a three jaw puller. I ruined two of the three pulleys, and cost myself 50 bucks in the process (darn things are expensive). If you have a Bearing puller (the one in two halves that support the bearing from the inside) that would probably work too.

Here is a thread from my rebuild.

http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?whichpage=2&TOPIC_ID=148961#567227

Got it apart. It was as Mike H said and we did what he said. We did work it back and forth, first 1/8 inch with a wedge shaped chisel, then placed 1/8 angle iron under the small pulley in a press, got it to move 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Got some pressure, moved it back, hand filed pits in the shaft, then pressed it all the way out, heavily juiced the whole way.

Thanks for the help.

Bob J.