Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Mike_H

Carb Question...

Mike_H

I'm replacing a 6 HP briggs with a 12 HP briggs in my Broadmoor. Running into a couple clearance issues, as you might expect. Specifically, the Air Intake/Carb assembly hits the grill. The interference isn't great, but would definitely require me to relieve the airbox. Its not a huge deal, but I'm really trying to stay true to the design intent of the machine. To that end, the original 3 bolt carb will bolt right up. Yeah, the updraft carbs are leaky messes, and the walbro that is stock to the engine is probably a LOT better...but the old one looks more "correct." Is there enough adjustment in the carb to get it flowing enough F/A mixture to run the 12 horse properly? I'm actually just impressed that this engine fits without modifying sheet metal! The 12 horse is to allow me to experiment with the NOS mulch kit I have for the 32" deck. I'm trying to eliminate grass clipping in the landscaping.

More_Power.jpg

more_power2.jpg

more_power3.jpg

More_Power.jpg.6e005d7a6031ef8844ab43911acf752e.jpg

more_power2.jpg.6db25b0aa507d04f30e3eacd45cb4c7f.jpg

more_power3.jpg.971fc59214280dc094a9c9cf907d72d4.jpg

BLT

Unless you bench test for power, you won't know, but for 32" deck, HP wise there's no problem. My guess is that at some point in time, the intake valve will be your problem due high restriction and only a guess.

720nut

you say clippings in landscape, why not install a door on deck like O-turns use to keep from blowing grass in beds all my mowers have them saves a lot of cleanup. Just my $.02

Mike_H

The original engine was tired anyway, and burned oil. I had problems last year with an open discharge...afraid plugging it off with the old engine e would have killed it.

theniteowl

First time I have seen a repower on one of those that did not involve modifying the hood or grill. I like it.

I do not know much about carbs but you may be able to use a one or two piece carb from a Landlord. I would not think the carb for a 6HP could deliver enough air or fuel.

I have a 64 Broadmoor in need of a motor and a Briggs 13.5 that might make a good engine for it if your experiment goes well.