Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HELP!! 12 volt conversion from a magnamatic

johnmonkey

If I change from a magnamatic ignition to a 12 volt ignition as per the directions in the "do it yourself" section. Would I need my old amature under the flywheel? Do I need any of the wires from under the flywheel? Can I eliminate all of the stuff under the flywheel? I would probably leave the lead-magnet holder because it is heavy and would add to the efficientcy of the flywheel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks John H

Assuming that you are speaking of the model 19 engine of your previous post, you should not need the armature or wires under the flywheel. You can eliminate it all. Pat

Yes I was refering to the model 19 magna-matic from 1961.Sorry I forgot to add that little piece of information. I was thinking (too much) that I would need the armature wire to go to a terminal on the new coil. I was thinkig that the rotation of the flywheel and magnets would create the pulse of electricity needed to send a spark to the new coil and the new coil would boost the spark for ignition. I'm glad I was wrong. I think I will look in to a rebuild of the model 19 and go with the 12 volt conversion. When I removed the flywheel there were pieces of metal that became separated from the lower half of the armature and I hear that those armature parts are expensive and maybe hard to find. Thanks for your help. John H

I replaced the magneto setup on a 10 Hp Briggs 18 yrs ago by hooking the points to an external coil powered directly from the battery like an older car. Still running, purrs like a kitten. I originally used a motorcycle coil, but recently cleaned up the overall design by mounting a Kohler coil to the head of the engine. Easiest way to fix the problem of a bad mag. If it has points this is the way to go.