Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

LED headlight for AC 712

ac.d17iv

In the square grill lights I have replace the OEM bulb with an 1156 LED super bright. The brand is Pilot from Walmart, cheap and works great! Much brighter than the OEM.I have also installed a LED back work light.

wb710 bck.JPG

I have the 710 Kohler with the separate lighting coil, did not work with LED lights (LEDs are so instantaneous, they strobed with the speed of the flywheel), so I hooked the lights to the battery circuit and they use so little watts that they do not affect the charging circuit at all.If you have the podded lights, then someone else will need to chime in.

57e062d43d8f8_wb710bck.JPG.48ef9fd5f0ed83cf00c46422054f6040.JPG

Yes I have a set in my 716 right now I will look up the info when I get home at the end of the week. They are from an outfit in Arizona and they were the cheapest I could find

LEDLight.com For the square lights we put in a 23533 bulb.You can see about twice as far with the led as the incandescent bulbs. The one hint I have is making sure all your connections are clean and all the wiring is good shape when you put them in. LED's are very sensitive to voltage drops, as MikeES found out if the voltage flickers so do the led's.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. I have a problem where one of the light housings presses against the muffler. Ever since I put the front PTO on the kohler, my muffler will press against the one light housing...and the heat melted the wiring. I can't seem to get the muffler moved out of the way either. Do any of the LED replacements have a housing that isn't very deep?

So, just to clarify a little info here...The lighting output coil of the Kohler is AC voltage...which is why the LED's flicker. Its very hard on them. LED's are Diodes, and as such, current flow is important. Diodes will only pass current one way. Hook them up to the battery you'll be fine.

You could also add a bridge rectifier circuit (couple more diodes) to block the reverse current from getting to the LED's...that would also work. Google will tell you how to create that circuit.

I have the 10hp Kohler with dual charging coils and no rectifier. One coil is a 70 watt 12V dc for lighting and the other coil is a 3A 28V unregulated with diode.

The LEDs strobe at low rpm, at 3600 there is almost no flicker. I put this down to the magnets flying by the stator. At very low rpms even the filament bulbs flickered a little.

You should have just replaced the bulbs themselves not the whole housing. Now the wires come out of the back of the housing at an angle and it is labeled(sometimes) top and bottom. I found I had to switch the housing so the wires went the other way i.e. angled up or down. I will open the hood tomorrow and let you know what way they are currently facing.

The angle is down for the wiring on my 716. That being said on my 710 they face up, the 710 has a stack muffler so space is not an issue. On the 716 I need to re rout the wires as they are hitting the muffler, think zip ties or wire holding clips to hold the wires close to the grill. With flickering lights clean all the connections going to the bulbs, and run a ground wire from the hood to the frame of the tractor. The bulbs ground to the hood then to the frame and with age and vibration the connection is not good enough for LED's. If you need more info PM me, I have first hand knowledge and I am almost done with my degree in Electrical Engineering Technology.