Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Moldboard plow

simplewrench

Went to the annual tractor show in Rock Falls IL. today (sorry forgot my camera). I was talking to a pretty knowledgeable plow guy, I have been trying to identify my plow since I got it a few years ago with a Case I bought. Dave said it looks like a walk behind plow. So I thought I would post a picture here and see if our vast array of experts here can help with the I.D.

Moldboard Plow.jpg

57e05b27b048c_MoldboardPlow.jpg.30d0f895233b498b94c0566e95b01634.jpg

Yes, it looks like an old walk behind plow. Possibly made by Brinly. Also, looks like it is missing the coulter which would mount on a rod/round shaft and go up through the cast eye and adjust height with the set screw. Certainly can be used without the coulter and pulled behind a tractor. You will also need a sleeve hitch to connect between the tractor and plow. You can find them either on eBay or Craigslist in White Pigeon, MI. See the Brinly website on how to adjust the plow.

I assume a plow is from a walk behind if the adjusting crank faces backwards, like yours does. On the ones designed to be on a riding tractor, the crank faces forward so you can adjust from the seat.

The coulter is really needed if you are plowing ground with either sod or alot of trash on the top. Without the coulter the trash just wraps around the blow beam and makes a mess, and with sod the coulter cuts the sod so you get a nice furrow.

Steve

Thanks for the input. I have an old style sleeve hitch not the brinley but either way the home made hitch should be redone. Makes perfect sense that the crank for the walk behind faces back and the pull behind faces forward. Sometimes the obvious escapes my notice.