Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Changed points striped screw 19.5hp onan

lmoret

Perhaps this is too simple a solution but: Since the screws stick through the back side of the box anyway use a little longer new screw and put a nut and lockwasher on the back side of the coil box.

You have a problem! To fix right, replace the stripped part. Other "tricks": 1) Try a new screw. Maybe the new threads will "grab". 2) Coat threads and mating surfaces with Loctite. 3) Use another screw of similar size but different threads (coarse, metric, even a sheet metal if you're desperate). The threads will "cross" but may hold. 4) Start screw, then "tin" threads with hard solder. 5) Drill out hole and cut new threads for larger screw.

A "Heli-coil" thread repair insert works well. There is a kit on e-Bay right now. It is somewhat like a spring. You drill out the hole, tap new threads with a special tap, then screw in the coil to get back to the original thread. There is a complete kit on e-Bay right now, which should be the size you need. You can also purchase the kits at almost any auto parts store. It provides a long lasting repair, and is usually stronger than original. I have used them on many occasions, mostly to repair stripped out spark plug holes in aluminum cylinder heads. Pat[A href='http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2004116030']http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2004116030[/a]

Woody, I just check the "new today" items quite often. When you say that you are surprised at how small they are, were you referring to the repair inserts or the minds? Pat

Pat- Thanks a lot, you just saved me a lot of work.I just screwed up one of my brackes on my truck tore screws out need to repair. Worked perfect with Heli- coil from NAPA.Great idea Thanks Ron B