Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Mike_H

Leaking Sunstrand

Mike_H

I was on vacation last week (about 10 days, total) and when I got back yesterday, I noticed that there was quite a bit of transmission fluid on the ground under my 7016H. This tractor has NEVER leaked any transmission fluid before.

Kinda confused as to what might have happened. It was inside, and I know it was hot (upper 80's to low 90's) while I was gone...Could it have expanded enough to leak if the vent isn't working? Any ideas before I start tearing it apart? I'm gonna have to push mow again!

bowhunt4life

I have a 7790 Diesel with a sundstrand. Mine also leaked fluid. I was able to isolate the source. It was the drive shaft that the drive pulley is one. The seal was leaking. New part $7 and about 30 minutes of effort (by Jason and Ken Holz) and the leak is gone.

I'd start there at the shaft seal to try and identify the leak.

SmilinSam

Look at your drive shaft seals like suggested above. Also look at you brakeshaft seal. I have had bad leaks in that seal too.

If none of those are the problem, I'd start looking for cracks in the axle tube and hope it aint that.

Mike_H

Checked it out again last night, and it really doesn't appear to be seals. All the fluid was concentrated near the fill tube...I washed it down last night, and parked it over cardboard. I'll take a look tonight when I get home, maybe shoot some pictures. With it clean, I'm hoping the leak wil be more apparent. I'm also going to do a fluid/filter change...I guess its possible that it was overfilled (I've never done a fluid change on this machine) and just expanded out of the fill tube?

Mike_H

Dry as a bone today...WTH. Anyway, I changed the filter and fluid. I thought I read that the tranny had a 2 quart capacity, in this thread

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=167045

I read the operator manual for my 7016H, and it says 3 quart capacity. Also says to add while engine is running...which I didn't do...Ooops. I only put 2 qts in...anyone know the correct quantity of oil?

SmilinSam

When I fill them up its generally between the 2-3 qt level by the time the new filter fills.

Take the cap off the fill tube in the back and hold the vent cap up while you fill. Takes a while since the pipe is so small using a small funnel. Fill till the level is at the bottom of the threads on the fill pipe. Run it to fill the new filter, then check again.

rokon2813

I find it easier (faster) to just remove the vent for filling.

Also, over the years, I have saved a few caps off of gear oil bottles. The pointed ones ;). They fit on an oil bottle, and make it much easier to hit small holes. Use them a lot for adding oil to the engines.

Much easier to get oil into the foot draggers without a funnel or making a mess.

george116

I don't want to hijack, but can someone point me to a guide on how to replace transmission seals? I also have a leak on my DA 916; it's at the input shaft. A source for a new seal would be great as well. Is there anything else that should be done at the same time while doing this repair, since things will be taken apart?

Mike_H

I filled it full last night, engine running. Got about another 1/2 quart in it. Mowed, and everything seems fine. I parked over cardboard again, hopefully its dry. Its very strange though.