Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Club "favorite tractor" poll

Brent_Baumer

Just viewed the current status of the favorite AC tractor poll. The B series is running away with the election. Something just occurred to me though. If I have my choice of any of the tractors listed, to be given to me free, with like attachments, I think I would choose the largest, onan powered type tractors 1st, then the 900 series (which is what I think I mistakenly voted for). No way I could stand there looking at a 3 speed B110 next to a 620 and choose the b110. No offense Kent, but being able to put your feet on the ground while operating your tractor doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me to pick the b series. Just a thought. Brent

Brent, Did you move to Palm Beach? I'll bet Kent would pick a "free" PowrMax too. He could sell it, buy a "B", and have free gas as long as he owned it.

I confess. I was confused by the ballot. I think the homesteader, 700, 600/800, and the rest of 900 series voters are too. Had we all understood the ballot, the 616/620/720 tractors would be winning 52 to 48. There must be other reasons so many people are confused and would vote for the b series. The demographics don't make any sense either. Why would so many primarily lawn mowing owners vote for a tractor thats' strong points are its' color, lack of foot rests and availability of a sicklebar, when they use it only for mowing. The governor of this site, K. Jeb Thomas has used his power to influence the vote. I demand a re-count....and another...and another...

Brent, I must admit if given my "druthers" I'd pounce on a 620/720 and truth be known that's how I voted. I live really rural and my use for a tractor is admittedly in the compact range with wood gathering, large lawn and if I decide to grow a garden it will be big (I'm a sweet corn nut). My smaller tractors perform work out of proportion to their size which speaks well for them and I'll always have them around but a compact would serve my needs better. Dick

I have most of them so my vote is based on experience, not deisre. I have a B110 (best mowing job), a 710 & 712 (really like the Kohler engine), and a 620 & 720 (real machines with great hydraulics, a drop rear axel for megapower, front/rear PTO, and 3 pt hitch). There is just no comparison. I love them all. The best hands down is the 620/720. Now that is a man's machine. Steve

Which model is pictured on the 'SimpletrACtor' mugs? Just a novice, I am, Tacey P.S. (posted after kent's reply below) Now why would a B-1 be pictured on the mugs? Hmmmmmmmm?

Pat, Given all the confusion that there is about Homelites in the discussion down below, I certainly wouldn't want to try creating a "clear & understandable ballot"... Brent would file a lawsuit or something. ;<) Kent

I use my B-1 for more than just mowing. I have used it to pull pipes from the ground, drag logs home, move my pontoon boat, bust sod to plow a garden, till the garden, level my back lot, spread gravel and dirt, plow snow, spread fertilizer, move large rocks (on a sled), stretch fence wire, etc, etc. Putting my feet on the ground has been useful on many of these jobs. I would love to have a Powermax but the simple fact is that one of them would be too big for my 1 acre lot. My gates and the many of my trees and flower beds have 4 foot clearance. A tractor larger than a Sovereign or B-1 would be cumbersome (sp?) and awkward to use. Not to mention the much higher cost for implements. My 2 cents worth. Roy

Don't mean to disappoint anyone, but my "dream tractor" would be a low-hours HB-212 with an L-12 loader to go on it... you know, like the one the little old lady only drove to church on Sundays.... Like Roy, a PowrMax is simply too much tractor for my needs on my lot....

Sorry guys, but you had to know you'd hear from me. First off, what's this 616/620/720 PowrMax stuff? The Pow'rMax is a Simplicity tractor. Anyway, If you have really used a 4040/4041/9020 for any task, you'd know it rules! Realistically, the Pow'rMax is a different class of tractor and shouldn't be compared to the B-Series. The B-Series, just as the Pow'rMax had their place. I happen to be biased. With the B-Series tractors you can mow a ball field or lay in a new lawn or do some light hobby farming. With a Pow'rMax you can go out in a snowstorm and pull these fashionable Dodge Ram pickups out of the ditch. Paul

Personally I like most everyone's tractor. I'm not overly thrilled with vertical shafted tractors only because they remind me of Sears tractor setups. My vote went to the B series. My reason is the LOOK of the B1 which to me looks like a scaled down tractor. The way it narrows down at the BGB and the lack of integrated fenders and footrests. I don't own a B1 but my 2 Model 700's look like smaller versions of my next door neighbor's Massey Harris Pony. I look at this poll as a fun diversion and much more satisfying than the NT poll. Have fun with it..My nickel's worth...Woody

You know, I read about the down talk of the fact that b-series owners can have their feet touch the ground. I have used heavy equipment for a majority of my life. And I must say, I like the fact that when I get my b stuck, I can get off and manually pick it up and push it out. Cant do that with the plow truck. Also, I must agree that the larger tractors are very nice, but not all of us have enough money and space for them. My b sits in the 2 1/2 foot area next to the car in the garage and is patiently waiting to be used. In stead of letting a thing like a poll start to segregate us, lets just say that we all like seeing an old work horse that was well taken care of. d;^) Dan

I LIKE ALL THE ALLIS CHALMERS LAWN TRACTORS but my favorite is the my AGCO918 because it is a smaller version of the big tractors and the my second would be the 616,620,720 because they are a smaller version of the 190 farm tractor. EVERYONE gets offended when some of us have a oppion of our own and NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE BEFORE SOME GETS ALL MAD AGAIN. ALL the tractors had a place no matter if a b-1 or a 720.IT IS all what your WALLET can afford and what your acreage is,and what size a tractor you need. MY CHOICE WAS A AGCO918 when i bought a new tractor because i had a b-1 and b-10 and loved them dearily but wanted more hp and a 48inch deck with hydralics plus wanted a hydr rear end plus i wanted a 900 series as a kid and after all these yrs bought my dream tractor. ONE ISNT BETTER than another it just is what you choice for your needs. MY point is i LOVE anything ALLIS CHALMERS and to arque about what is better is childish. WE ALL HAVE OUR NEEDS AND WANTS AND TO MAKE US ALL HAPPY SIMPLICITY has made a great bunch of tractors over the yrs and we all should be happy for what we have , no matter what model we have and this site shows the brand loyality that we all have for Simplicity/ALLIS CHALMERS . AGCO918 CHAD E SHAFER

Well boys this sure sounds like more fun than the last Poll.But i think i am going to go with my 4041 i just think its the greatest.Now saying that i still need a smaller machine to cut grass,and blow snow.So here we go again, one more.Got the bug.Now whats it going to be hmmm???? SEE ya Ron B

Looks like I'm gonna have to buy a b series and see for myself............For those who are offended by my post, I WAS trying to have fun with it. Didnt' mean to tick anyone off. My friends and I rib each other all the time -and all in good fun. (Still prefer a hydro for mowing though) Brent

It's a B-1 (the first Allis-Chalmers garden tractor) and the equivalent, a Simplicity Model 725.... [A href='http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/productdetail.aspx?prodno=280238'][img src='http://images.cafepress.com/zoom/176712_zoom.jpg'][/a]

Brent, I knew (or at least thought) you were kidding... maybe it's from having to say all my life that bigger isn't always better... if it were we might be trying to mow our lawns with something like this.... http://allischalmers.com/public/AC185D_22.jpg

I can feel the difference in handiness between my B-112 and the 725. If I could have jewed the guy down another 500 -700 bucks I would have bought that poor 720 thats been sitting in the Talketna rain forest for 2 or 3 years even though it would have been large on my 3 acres, it had a LOADER and they are a fine lookin tractor. I could have one of those in my yard just to add beauty, but not for 5500 bucks not running..Any tractors a good one if you have nothing...MPH

Here's my niece Stephanie today doing what she loves best when she sleeps over.This is her favorite with the hydro.says it's "cool"...Woody Click Here for Another Picture Click Picture for Alternate Picture