Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repowering a AC 912-6

faluppa

I am new to the forums but I have have a question for the wealth of knowledge I have found here. How much horse power will the drive line of 912-6 handle - I am thinking about repowering it a water cooled Kawasaki FD750D in. It would take some slight modification to the hood and hinge ( a good reason to get a TIG welder :) hehe ). Thank you in advance.

From the factory, the most horsepower they were ever shipped with is 19. They also had a diesel version that I am sure put out the most torque of all of the engine packages, and I know that a number of people have repowered with 23+ horspower Commands and Vanguards. I think to break the driveline because of power would have a lot more to do with what your asking of the tractor. You could have 500 horspeower in it and it wouldn't hurt it at all just driving down the road. 10 horsepower in 1st gear on asphalt trying to pull a train might just break something. However, they are are pretty tough tractors and drivelines. It takes a lot of abuse to break 'em.

Im hoping to get a plow and grater blade to add to my tiller and deck. More or less it will hopefully be my spring work horse

If everything in the drive line is in good shape with no slope: The weakest link is the tube axle, then the differential.

In tractor pulling the stock axle was good for about 35-40hp.

But with worn keys/keyways you can break things with a 10hp.

Welcome to the club Cody. Several diesel repowers have been written up and can be found in the archives. I use the search function on the orange toolbar above more than any other to find threads that help me with my collection.One similar I remember was one by s_stephen: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=119824&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=diesel

Be sure to write up the repower and post a thread so others can learn and follow. Good to have another Missourian in here.

Thank you everyone for the info, pointers and feed back. I am not committed to the idea of repowering yet but if this K301 does not get its act together its not going to be living with me much longer. lol If I do the repower I will try to document it the best I can!

Its getting a lot of blow by again. Now after last oil change she started knocking something fierce. I got parts coming to tear into it again so we will see what I find.

Finally got around to tearing her apart and found con rod came loose. Anyone have a spare crankshaft for a K301 they need rid of?

A Kawa FD750D would be an amazing power plant to use, but they sure soak up a lot of space, especially considering you need to fit that radiator in there someplace. I have that engine in my Legacy XL, and I love it. Easy on gas, quiet and smooth, but she has a nice snort to her when you put a good load on it with a 60" broom! It's my favorite tractor engine to date.

I'm kind of forced to put a Kawi in if I repower due to the fact I work the plant that makes them lol I have not been around them much in use but they sure do look like a force to be dealt with when they are packaged up on their crates. A guy in R&D told me the FD620D are better on fuel but if I am going to increase the horse power might as well go big. I would put the FD851D in but Im not sure the frame with fit it front to back.