Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model L

simplewrench

I had a friend text me earlier this week wondering if I would be interested in a Model L or M walk behind tractor he couldn't remember which. I said I have often thought about buying one but they take up so much room I have never pulled the trigger. I said it would depend on price and condition. He said it seems to be complete but the tires are just rags. Oh and the price is free. He said he had offered it to someone else but he hadn't come to get it for 15 years it was my turn and he was tired of it sitting in his back yard. Saturday I went and looked at it, I was amazed at how good it looked for sit out for so long. I asked how he thought we should get it to the trailer, he said push it. It rolled just like it should at least as good as one could expect with the tubes sticking out through the tires. I figured the biggest challenge would be getting the hubs off to change the tires since the tires are bolted on from the inside of the hubs. After I got it home I loosened the one set screw and with a little wiggle it slid right off. The other side took a few taps with a bar and hammer and it slid off. The engine isn't even stuck. Again just amazing. It is a Model L with a Model N Briggs engine. After some research it looks like it is a 1949 or 50 after that they put a model 6 Briggs in them. So here is what you have all been waiting through this verbose post.

Model L.jpg

Model L tag.jpg

57e05b2a18f5d_ModelL.jpg.976fbdbcb0f6f5ed0817113b5f36c78f.jpg

57e05b2a2819b_ModelLtag.jpg.6ecb99b85a657f29239fe93b0fcb783f.jpg

It looks good indeed! I have a L1 awaiting some love here, nice little tractors. At least the tires for those aren't terrible expensive. Have fun with it!

Everyone can use a sickle mower. reminds me of my uncles Gravely.

All you needis the sulkey.

W

Bought a little Bolens with sickle mower a few years ago - remembered when I was quite small, and used one and had to reach WAY UP for the handle bars!

Sure didn't need it, until wifes cousin passed away, and the brother that was supposed to mow the lawn regularly at the house never came to do it. Cousin called wife, asked if anyway I could mow it. Took the Bolens over, as I knew it had been at least 4 months since it had been mowed. The "hay" and weeds were at least 3 feet tall! Mowed for 7 hrs in the rain, and finished.

The only time I really needed it.

I had a very old 2 wheel trailer that was apparently a Bolens trailer, so now have put a seat on the trailer, so if I ever get another call, I won't have to walk all day!

Bought a little Bolens with sickle mower a few years ago - remembered when I was quite small, and used one and had to reach WAY UP for the handle bars!

Sure didn't need it, until wifes cousin passed away, and the brother that was supposed to mow the lawn regularly at the house never came to do it. Cousin called wife, asked if anyway I could mow it. Took the Bolens over, as I knew it had been at least 4 months since it had been mowed. The "hay" and weeds were at least 3 feet tall! Mowed for 7 hrs in the rain, and finished.

The only time I really needed it.

I had a very old 2 wheel trailer that was apparently a Bolens trailer, so now have put a seat on the trailer, so if I ever get another call, I won't have to walk all day!

The stories are part of what makes these machines so much fun. I sent an email to 4 of my buddies one of which suggested another buddy of ours and he is giving me another tire and his wife is dropping it off at my house so can't beat that. It's a mismatch but not unusual to that on a machine that is over 60.

I've hit a snag now. I had a good running 5h.p. Briggs that bolted right in to the frame on the Model L I was able to get the 3 sheave step pulley off the old engine. The problem is the shaft on the old engine is 1/2" but the 5 h.p. is 3/4" I hate to have the pulley changed because I would like to try and get the original 1 1/2 h.p. model N Briggs running someday. I am going to our local electric motor shop tomorrow and I have a neighbor that has a machine shop so I am hoping that someone will have a pulley or couple of pulleys to get it operational.

Yay I went to our lovely eletric motor shop that has been in business since way before my time and they had 3 collarless pulleys that will stack together and perform just like the original step pulley set up.

• 1 month later...

I was talking to a friend at an auction about the model L he said hey my uncle has a walk behind with a bunch of attachments that he wants to sell and as we all know that is how these things get out of hand. Well I bought the machine with another complete sickle bar and parts sickle plus a reel mower mold board plow disc and a rotary weed mower attachment. Didn't take much to get it running so I was able to keep one sickle plus the parts sickle and the reel mower disc and plow sold the extra tractor with 2 attachments for $50 more than I paid for the second tractor. So I have more attachments than I need but at least they didn't drain the bank account. As we have all said at one point or another it's a disease.

• 1 year later...

The saga continues. I went to an auction yesterday to see a rare Simplicity table saw attachment. 476C0396-85EE-4521-BA0D-B6FB516CC906.thumb.jpeg.c420ea945ee0e5bfa2e23cf5110dff57.jpegvery cool. I figured there would be ppl there with much deeper pockets than mine but it was worth going to find out what it went for the answer by the way is $300. 

There was a model W on the sale which I considered buying then decided not to. But while looking at it again I decided the tires looked pretty nice so I bought it for $85. 4C0CB996-0B30-44B3-8027-E4B2EF7B63C4.thumb.jpeg.22b0aa70749cb3ac95badbc650d69283.jpegthen another gentleman pointed out and I have to agree that the engine on the hay rack was more than likely the engine for this tractor. So I bought it for $20. No tag but it has a double pulley and a crown for rope start. C464FF5E-9E80-4DFC-83AE-3DE77BDDCED6.thumb.jpeg.d9c3d09e9b17a35e3603aacc6af2e2a1.jpegI text my friend Dave who gave me the model L and blamed it on him. He apologized I told him I would just have to live with it now. 

• Like 2

That engine looks very nice! I have two W here in case you get tired of it or if yours gets lonely. &:)

I see yours has the upper tube hitch for the tiller, does it by chance have the drive pulley too? It would be bolted on the transmission drive pulley on the left. 

I had a couple friends who attended the same auction, they got some good buys too. Sounds like I'm getting a second sickle mower for my Choremaster one wheeler out of there. dOd

Finally got a few minutes tonight we had a remarriage tonight72248BEB-4499-4844-8D74-E10A79E37E57.thumb.jpeg.d69fe615ab54de485e09ab8be01e1606.jpegdon’t know how long they have been split up or for sure that they were once a couple. But the exciting thing is tha I took out the spark plug pulled the rope and it had spark so I squirted some carb cleaner in the hole replaced the plug and it ran. At least until the carb cleaner was gone.  I was shocked and thankfully not by the plug wire. 

• Like 2

Put a fuel tank on the W drove it around a bit. I need to replace the belt, works in all gears but the belt won’t stop turning so pretty hard to shift that way. 

Oh, that's beautiful! There should be belt guides on the engine that stop the belt for shifting. You can see them in this picture if you look closely. 

s-l300.jpg

I see what you are talking about. My engine is missing them. I am pretty sure I have some around from other four wheel tractors will have to see if they are the right length.