Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3112H, Rear End Noise

superbee

I am getting a gear like clashing noise out of my 3112H. All fluid levels are good, in Hydro, Gear case, and Bevel Gear Housing. I need to check the Differential although. I have my suspicions. Any ideas?

Axle and all Hypo's are alright. Transmission next suspect. The engagement is not happening fully, and thats the noise. Getting ready to tear the Housing down.

Are you sure the engagement on the diff gear hub is tight? If the diff gear that is pinned to the RH hub is getting worn it will get skippy/loud right before getting ugly.

I would also take the belt off the bevel to hear any rattles from there up the driveline to the engine.

The hydro transmission has relatively few gears and they are bigger than the 3-spd trans. The movable pinion on the engage/disengage on the back of the trans would be the smaller gear and more prone to alignment if there is one to point at first.

Figured it out. Took the Transmission case cover off. Come to my surprise someone has been here before. First found two broken retaining bolts in the housing, or which I drilled out and tapped, but when someone serviced this, they never tightened the lock nut on the pivot. I readjusted it, and now it engages and disengages properly. It does kind of bugs me a little bit, but now I just need to adjust the neutral position, for it wants to creep. Otherwise, the tractor is running great. Thank You all. -D-