Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
B112_son

23hp command in Prestige

B112_son

I have a prestige with 23hp command. I was mowing last night and it kept shutting down on me. Then it would restart after a bit. After several times I could hear a click. Anyway, finally figured out it was a relay under the dash. A positive comes from the battery to the relay, then out the relay to the switch. (sorry I don't have the part number) So to finish mowing I jumpered around it and no more problems. The relay looks fried. But my question is what does the relay do and is it necessary? I can put a new one in pretty easy by the looks of it, and I'm sure its there to protect something but what?I also don't want to tear anything up on the mower if I need to run it again before I get a new part.

Brettw

I am not sure what you are speaking of is a relay, it may be a breaker by the sound of it. Jumpoing around it could cause an electrical fire, so I would be cautious and try to determine what is causing it to trip in and out.

B112_son

Thanks Brett. I had time to find the part number on jacks and it is 1665238sm. I know the connection coming from the battery to the breaker was melted, corroded, and loose. Do you know what the breaker controls?

B112_son

Thanks again. It's only like 9$ so I guess I'll start with a new one and see if the problem comes back. I guess if it does I've got another issue somewhere else.

GrincheyOne

to be safe, before using a simple shunt around the breaker, buy an inline fuse socket, they are provided with pigtails, at least this way if the fuse rating is exceeded, you are protected from having an electrical fire. Note the $9 breaker is rated at 20 amps, and trip at about 17 (85%), so use a 15 amp fuse

W