Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

917H...Finally up and running!

Gary

First and foremost, I'd like to thank all of you who have helped me with this project. I won't attempt to name all of you, since this has been a long, long build, and I don't want to forget somebodys name. This site is the absolute best, because of it's members willing to share knowledge and experience.Tractor and deck rebuilt from the ground up. Decals from Click it and stick it. Rustoleum Allis Chalmers Orange spray cans. Rustoleum Almond Appliance Epoxy. Rustoleum Clear Coat.Most nuts and bolts are new, some are stainless steel.Brand new Kohler M18S Magnum Engine with remote oil filter.All new wiring and weatherproof Delphi Connectors.Manual steering overhauled and thrust bearings added. (steers exceptionally well)Many hours well spent.Thanks to all of you!

917H01.jpg

917H02.jpg

917H04.jpg

917H05.jpg

917H06.jpg

917H07.jpg

917H03.jpg

:o

Wow...That came out AWESOME!! Great job on the refurb....you did one heck of a job and should be proud!dOd

That is beautiful!

Is that square tube coming off the deck chute (where it would be) stock? My dad's has one just like that and based on the welding I figured it was somebody attempt at bracing the opening.

One of my decks has a snowblower-like skid shoe bolted to a reinforcing plate around 2 of the 3 sides of the chute.

That is one heck of a sharp looking machine. That is like a showroom new tractor. Very well donedOd

Thanks for the kind words. All told, it was an awesome experience.

Rich, the piece you're talking about in the chute opening, is a factory part. This one is brand new "old stock". The deck shell is from a sunstar, I believe.

What are the hydraulic lines in front of engine?

reread post. It is remote oil filter

Great Job! Better than new. dOddOd8D Where did you get a new M18? Did it cost the first born male child?

The M18S, is a Cub Cadet Spec. Last time I looked, it was right at $2,400.00, at S.E.W. And no, I didn't pay that much.

Tractor currently has 2.1 hours run time, and it purrs like a kitten. Especially with the new muffler...very quiet.

Lots of NOS in this build. BGB has new shafts, bearings and seals.

Sweet Tractor. Nice Job. I've been thinking about those tires too. You'll have to let us know how you like them.

I'm very happy with the Carlisle All Trails. I've had them for a couple of years. They're easy on the turf, but have better traction than the stock tires. I don't have them filled, but they don't do bad in light snow. I usually switch to chained stock tires when the snow gets deep, as I have a steep driveway. The All Trails are 25x10.5-12, as I like the taller tires. The front tires are Carlisle Turf Master 18x6.50-8. They are about 1.5 inches taller than the stock tires, which helps get the deck cutting height up to 3 inches with ease.

I've been eyin the all trail myself, been wondering about snow traction.

You did a great job with one of my all time favorite tractors!

I have a similar seat on my 7016H. Got it from Ebay, used, off a mid 90's broadmoor, if I'm not mistaken. Its pretty nice, comfy too!

7016H.jpg

7016H.jpg.c694e0beec21beacaa1700acdef32fd7.jpg

I also got the seat and adjustable mount from E-bay. I have a brand new "original" seat for the 917H, but decided to go with the adjustable type. It sits higher (even though I shortened the height of the mounting bracket), and is much more comfy than the original.

This tractor is my version of a "Resto-Mod". I did a lot of little improvements, without changing the appeal of the original.