Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ignition coil locations?

CaptinStifles

Hello everyone i have a simplicity 2010 Landlord model 990395 and i am unsure of where i should look for the ignition coils. My spark plug isn't sparking but the cord is getting power and the spark plug is brand new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The magneto is under the flywheel cover. I would start by cleaning and checking the gap of the points. The gap is suppose to be .020.

quote:Originally posted by CaptinStifles

Hello everyone i have a simplicity 2010 Landlord model 990395 and i am unsure of where i should look for the ignition coils. My spark plug isn't sparking but the cord is getting power and the spark plug is brand new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

id="quote">
id="quote">I'm confused. What "cord" is getting power and how are you testing it?

Ok thanks the cable from the magneto to the spark plug and I'm using a Continuity Tester it was acting like it wasn't getting enough power.

The cable from the mag to the spark plug is the plug wire, it will ONLY get power through it when it is supposed to fire. If you are checking it without the flywheel spinning at all, you will get resistance readings, nothing more

How are you checking with a continuity tester? To do that, you would have to be able to get to both ends of the wire. That unit will not test across a gap, such as you would have if the points are not closed while you are testing. And that would not tell you anything, anyway. I don't think you would want to use your tester while the engine is spinning, as I think spark voltage is going to be in the 25,000 range, and your tester likely will not read that high of a spike.

First, as stated above, clean the points, and make sure the lead going from the condenser to the mag is not grounded when you replace the cover, or, be sure the wire is isolated from the block and cover with tape or some other insulator around the wire. Check for fire again at the plug.

Condensers can also be bad. Before cleaning the points, check the way in which they have been firing. If they are worn evenly, the condenser is likely good. If burned more on one side or the other, your condenser should be replaced.

ok thanks i got it working but now i have another issue with my carburetor. it is clogged some where but i don't know where because i am a little un-clear on where the fuel enters the carburetor and then enters the carburetor bowl.

You may want to search Utube for some videos on carburetors . They can give you some clue as to how they work.

You don't learn much from the three stooges , but they make you laugh!

Thanks Ken in mi

I sent an email to this person, and received 2 emails regarding my use of the site. Is the captin a real entity or the group moderators phishing?

quote:Originally posted by CaptinStifles

ok thanks i got it working but now i have another issue with my carburetor. it is clogged some where but i don't know where because i am a little un-clear on where the fuel enters the carburetor and then enters the carburetor bowl.

id="quote">
id="quote">The fuel enters the carb thru the top half of the assembly and flows down onto the float thru the needle pin hole, and as it fills the float will shut it off.

emails were a welcome to the site message,use of the site, rules for what can be posted, and how to reset my email delivery. Was that a coincidental set of messages to everyone, or..?