Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Craigslist tractor

fishnwiz

Was surfing CL today when a Simplicity tractor came up for 25.00 dollars. Well I don't know about you guys but I buy ANY SIMPLICITY TRACTOR for 25.00 if its complete or in good condition.Email guy...called guy told him I would take it! Owner said bad tranny and flat tire....NOT A PROBLEM...I will take it sight unseen! Hooked up trailer and made a 25min trip to find nice condition 12RTH tractor on a trailer. Owner came out and told me his brother is a mechanic and priced replacement tranny at 125-200 dollar range and said forget it...sell it! Told owner I would take it anyways,,,did not have a key to start tractor but for 25 bucks...who cares?? Took tractor home and put jumper pak on tractor...grabbed a spare key and BOOM!...Started right up and ran great! Eased hydro lever downward and nothing? Then I jumped off tractor and looked underneath for issues....there it was ONE MAJOR ISSUE...The belt was off the engine pulley! Put belt back on and crossed fingers...started mower and eased into gear and AWAY SHE WENT!!! Yeee Haaa !! I still can't believe it!

IMG_6598_1.jpg

IMG_6599_1.jpg

IMG_6600_1.jpg

IMG_6598_1.jpg.2df7d3b793d3e7b2aecde396fe9418ca.jpg

IMG_6599_1.jpg.d3889a0fcf2b8d6488c5df53b1fed221.jpg

IMG_6600_1.jpg.04e206865fcc26a70be56e993966e4ea.jpg

I don't know the belt off the pulley was missed by the brother who is a supposed mechanic?

You always hope it's something minor when getting a great deal but it does not happen that way too often. Most times it's WORSE then you think!

Another one saved from the scrap pile. dOd

So much good usable equipment ends up being scrapped because of a simple inexpensive problem.

So much good usable equipment in decent to great shape ends up in the scrap pile because someone wouldn't invest 4 bux a season in oil (maybe 10-12 with a filter). Just stupid, stupid, stupid.

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

I got robbed....one of the front tires is losing air!!:(!

id="quote">
id="quote">I'll give you your money back and take it off your hands for you.;)

Nice machine!

I bought a 12.5, 5 speed Broadmoor a few years ago, from a young couple. They said it ran great, but the trans was bad, wouldn't move. I bought it for $200.00, got it home, put the belt back on the trans pulley, and cut my grass.

Ended up getting $500.00 for it.

Think that's sweeter deal then the first Gilson I ever bought just because it had a 16hp briggs. BAD knock, guy didn't even want to start it up, but he did, sounded pretty bad bit squat down by it and decided the knock was to high for a rod. Got it home, poured a can of rislon though the carb, killed every skitter for miles, ran so sweet it sounded new. Still running today as far as I know.

You mentioned a bad knock? I have actually bought 3 different tractors that the owners claimed had a " Bad knock".Turned out to be loose motor mount bolts allowing the engine to move around in the chassis!

I love a bargin!

quote:Originally posted by puttputt

Wow, $25.00--unbelievable. You should go buy a lottery ticket!

id="quote">
id="quote">Now that lucky I am not!!

• 4 weeks later...

Brother probably didn't see belt was off because he didn't want to be roped into doing any repairs for free!!!! Easier to say "sell it". Brother with no mechanical knowledge non the wiser.