Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What does this sound like?

GWGAllisfan

Today I was mowing with the 712 and after about an hour it began to run rough, noticeably lower on power, until it finally just sputtered to a stop. It woul readily restart, run ok, even with the deck on, but after a few minutes it would start to run rough and quit again. Adjusting the main fuel needle in or out didn't help much. It finally got so bad I just finished with the gt17h. The 712 tractor has just been put back in service after 2+ years under a tarp. I had to remove and wipe out the carb bowl to get it run in the first place.

Does this sound like a carb problem ? I doubt it is ignition as it seem to run ok if no load is applied.

I was wondering if maybe something has clogged a fuel passage.

Ideas are welcome.

By the way has anyone noticed the KT twins being a lot quieter the a single k series?

Pull your fuel line and make sure you have good fuel flow...check/replace fuel filter if you have one. Be sure screen on fuel line in tank is not partially blocked.

Could also be a condenser failure.

It could be ether a carb problem or what about your fuel filter(if you have one). My 718H with a K301 Kohler

spit and sputtered, but after a filter change

it has only sputtered every once in a while.

If engine is starving for fuel, you will not have much luck with needle valve adjustments as this will have little to no bearing on how the tractor runs. On the other hand if a slight pull out of the choke seems to correct your issues, it's most likely a fuel issue. You did put ALL new fresh gas in the tractor?

This is actually the third mowing with it since putting it back in service. I had completely drained the gas tank when I started trying to use it again. All the fuel is new.

I'll check the fuel flow before and after the pump, then see about the carb. It ran fine the time before this, about a week before. I bought a carb kit a few months ago, in case it needed it, so at least I have that.

The condenser idea is interesting. Don't those usually completely fail, or at least require a cooling off to work again?

In answer to the KT's being quieter than the K's...absolutely! The KT's are also a lot smoother running, with a lot less vibrations felt through all operating ranges.

• 1 month later...

Well I think I may have fixed it. I took the carb apart and cleaned it. I was going to rebuild it, but the rebuilt kit didn't look too high a quality. The problem i found was the needle valve on the float was stuck in the fitting, plus so much crud in the fuel intake area. I cleaned that and ran it for 30- minutes with no issues.  surges a little with no load, but smooths out with a load.

• Like 1

Because it sat and you had to clean the bowl just to get it to run, it most certainly sounds like a fuel problem. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild the carb anyways.