Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Jives

Did I Fry my DA 1920 PTO?

Jives

Hi all;

Long story short; my Deutz Allis 1920 has always been a bit fickle on its PTO. Always managed to jiggle wires and get it going, but recently, I could not get it going. The PTO would engage when I just excited it across the 12V battery, so I swapped out the switch. ($35, ouch). No change. So, I started tracing wires and grounds, only to find a mess that the PO had left. There were cut wires, safety switches not attached, and more. Somewhere in that mess was a bad connection, but I became frustrated at finding it, so I just decided to directly wire the PTO to the battery with a simple toggle switch. Bypassed all the other electronics and wired it up. Worked great, that is, for about 5 minutes of mowing and then the PTO stopped. PTO no longer engages when I test across the wires.

Did I just fry a $500 part? Thoughts? Solutions?

Brettw

Have you checked the clearance on the PTO. As I recall it should be about 12 thousandths. This is very important. Clearance should be measured with a feeler gauge, and you can tighten the three / 4 nylock nuts to achieve the proper gap. Try that first. If all eslse fails, I might just have a pto for a magnum sunstar layin around....... 8D

lugnard

Are you sure of a good ground? I can't imagine that you would have done damage to it. 12 volts is 12 volts no matter how it gets there. Could just be the luck of the draw and it was on the way out. Maybe pull the assembly and inspect the coil for breaks or just a bad wire. Good time to inspect the bearings. Yah they are spendy tho...

Harry

1978Simplicity7016H

Just a thought: maybe the battery is dead? If you wired it straight to the battery, maybe the clutch is out of adjustment and/or bad, causing a increase of power needed to keep it engaged and since there is no fuse to break, it ran the battery dead?

Welcome to the Club!:)

Jives

Thanks, folks. I've adjusted the gap, and checked and double checked. I know that a ground, or perhaps a flaky safety switch, is the main culprit, but even if I bypass all the electronics other than the battery I still get no response.

But. . .the idea that the battery is not putting out 12V could be a culprit. More to come.