Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sticking valve

GardenTrACtorguy

My B-112 has a sticking valve. It pops pretty frequently when the engine in hot.

It there a way to fix this issue without having to remove the head??

In fact the head is supposed to be removed more often than you might think for inspection. The valve spring access is on the side between the muffler and carb ports. The valve stems likely have to be cleaned/lubed and check for clearances.

Instead of sticking, it is likely clearanced too tight and floating.

I just wanted to know if there was a way to save time.

Thanks for the info on the valves (clearance/lube)

Is the head the only thing that has to come off to check valve clearance Etc?

I don't know my way around a Briggs that well but I do not think you have to remove the head to check clearance but someone smarter than me will confirm or correct me shortly I'm sure. I would download a repair manual before you start so you have the steps and specs at your finger tips.

Regardless if you need to remove the head or not to check the clearence, I would remove the head. Clean everything with a wire brush to remove all the carbon deposits. As for a lubricant, Some ATF will work good.

The side cover between the ports is where it would be measured but the check could be done from the head as well. If the tightest spot the valve rests at still wobbles then its not seating.