Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Gcabinet1

4041 charging system question

Gcabinet1

So I replaced the rectifier and now the amp meter shows charge . I am getting 13.88 volts at the battery at 1950 Rpms. According to the article by Al Eden it should show

14.4 volts.

Could the voltage regulator be bad or would something else cause the lower voltage.

When doing the regulator test in the article ,does the regulator need to be on the tractor.

I picked up a NOS regulator but when I do the test in the article it fails the black lead to ground test. Same as the old regulator .

Thanks for any help.

Gary

OrangeMetalGuy

I don't have a Powermax, but every charging problem I've had on my large-frames has been due to connections that were not completely tight.

Whenever I have a problem like this, I take apart every connection and clean and tighten them. That's always solved the problem.

Now, the battery could be bad - like in having a bad cell. The tractor may be charging fine.

If it were me, I'd go over every connection again. Also you can take the battery to Autozone, etc. and they will run a test on it for you.

Last, I ditched my ammeter and replaced it with a voltmeter. Much better indicator of the overall electrical system health, at least for me.

720nut

I have to agree with John, lot of money to end up with same problems down the road. I bought new alternator and still had less in build than if I could have found parts. My build is documented here on Simple Tractors.