Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

75th Sovereign light switch?

Chris727

Was having some trouble with the 75th Anniversary Sovereign dying the other day so I started checking switches behind the dash. I knew it seemed like the light switch didn't feel right and it had fallen down behind the dash. Turns out the threaded portion of the plastic-bodied switch broke off clean, leaving it dangling there. I am thinking the back of the switch (hanging loosely) may have been contacting the steering shaft and grounding out the safety system. The 75th models had a rear work light and use a different switch than the standard models with headlights only. My rear light is long gone but I want to put in the same type of switch so it will be factory and I can again add a rear light if I find the correct one. My question is how does it function, is the up position for headlights only, middle off, and down headlights and rearlight? Or is it headlights - off - rear light? Or did the rear light have its own switch as the FDT's did? I could order one from Simplicity but its $40 and looks like a common switch.Here are a couple pics to spice up this post:

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG.0c1e56f64945bd1cfd1fef20e5f1afb7.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG.1a4e59ab2e0bbbf13b550739b8991d39.JPG

The switch is likely available at the hardware stor or a Radio Shack for a few bux. Not sure of how it was set up on the 75th. I would doubt it is setting off any safety settings, but if it was grounding out power it may very well have tripped the breaker, which would kill everything until it reset.

According to wire diagram and operators book there was no provision for rear light. All connections were originally push terminals and power block was not offered.

Chris,Wilbur43 is correct - Down: both lights off, middle: headlights only on, up: headlights and work-light on.I also had an issue with the switch last year. The work-light would only light sometimes. I traced the issue to the switch. Since Simplicity replacement part is ridiculously expensive, I looked elsewhere. However finding the correct switch wasn't easy, either locally or online. As I remember, I didn't find too many sources and bought this switch:

IMG_7118a.JPG

IMG_7122a.JPG

The back side is identical to the switch in the 75th:

IMG_4792a.jpg

However, the parts that are seen from the front side (toggle, etc) is round/chrome vs the OEM flat/black plastic. I purchased the switch from Zoro; it's still available:https://www.zoro.com/carling-technologies-toggle-switch-spdt-10a-250v-quikconnct-2gg51-73/i/G4119552/So is the OEM, all black switch worth the extra cost? It wasn't to me.A PS to BLTI've found the 75th to be an orphan of sorts as to descriptive info. You're correct there's no mention of a work light in either the 1998 electrics manual (where the 75th's mfg #1692889 is specifically mentioned) or the special Operators Manual for the 75th (not available electronically). Only place I've found info is in the parts manual for the 75th; besides the special page for 75th parts, it has different 75th parts listed in the regular parts listings if required (such as the light switch).

IMG_7118a.JPG.8e7c7229c28b3dffb600d6259fed1107.JPG

IMG_7122a.JPG.5bb08d3823ee70e6262d41038bb6cf23.JPG

IMG_4792a.jpg.56fecc1108e1d7aca1d1e1c98f6d6b28.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

My rear light is long gone but I want to put in the same type of switch so it will be factory and I can again add a rear light if I find the correct one.

id="quote">
id="quote">The Harley Davidson 4-1/2" passing light might be a replacement for the chrome 75th work-light. I bought the "passing lamp" chrome visors to replace the missing ones for my 75th, they fit fine. Maybe Simplicity used OEM Harley lights for the 75th?? I'm not sure of the mechanical connection so you'd have to check that out. Maybe there's a motorcycle bone-yard where you could get a used one. I'm sure a new lamp fixture would be expensive from Harley.

Thank you. That's just what I needed to know! Bill, the light does look the same as some Harley assemblies. Will watch for one.

Update: Tonight I put the old switch back in (had the dash top removed so I could look at everything. Started it up and duplicated the short. When the switch shorts against the steering shaft the circuit breaker kicks in and the tractor will not immediately crank again until you hear it reset. Will install a new switch and hopefully the problem will be solved. Also going to order a Harley-Guide repop off fleabay.

Thanks guys.