Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3415s with cracked axle tube.new tube or swap rear

joelw23

If i can't fix my cracked axle tube, I'll be looking for a little newer tractor that can still use all of my attachments.

What newer/better model should i look for?

I have:

snowblower

belly blade

plow

tiller

mighty mac shredder

leaf vac

cab

axle tubes are available. I may be easier to find another rear if your not mechanically inclined. Newer model would be a 7000 and 7100 series. As far a hydro swap its not a bad job you just have make sure you have all the parts required. A donor tractor is best.

Can anyone tell me what that metal ring that is hanging there is for? it's chewed up so I need to order a new one.

axle tube, seals, trans gasket,

any other parts i should need?

Joel,

Here is a link to ebay listing that has the large frame service manual that I talked to you about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIMPLICITY-Large-Frame-Garden-Tractor-Service-Repair-Manual-2001-/301964237013?hash=item464e7898d5:g:9ugAAOSwR5dXQxL-

This link will get you the seals that you will need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplicity-2154269sm-axle-seal-previous-no-154269-/152174943195?hash=item236e555bdb:g:zBEAAOSwdzVXj84D

This link will get you the brakedown of the shuttle rear end on Small Engine Part Warehouse. The gasket for the rear end is still available.

http://parts.sepw.com/?aribrand=SMP#/Simplicity/990758_-_Sovereign%2c_3415S_15HP_Shuttle/TRANSMISSION_GROUP/990758/024000301

Hello,

Sounds like you are going in the gear case...Another few items you should order are all of the woodruff keys. I think there are around 9 or 10. They all seem to have wear on the sides and start rocking around in the broach/slot. You especially want to get new ones for your new axle tube..

Andy

You can remove the right side of the case only, leaving the rest in place, if you want. A little tricky but can be done.

Agree with all the above, but, I would add to go ahead and disassemble the gear case(transmission). If there is a bearing, replace it. Same with seals. The axle tubes have bearings or bushings, replace. You have a choice, do a large job and do it right, or do a large job, several times, until you finally get it right.