Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Got some new projects at the auction..

SmilinSam

Spent all day and got some decent stuff for a change...

DSCN0998_zpsdoy8xxpi.jpg

Early Command powered Legacy

DSCN1006_zpsrqoqktox.jpg

Missing the Command.. but all the stuff is there to install another except the muffler itself..Got a good interstate battery toodOd

DSCN1001_zps9d1hrvvo.jpg

Worst part of the tractor is the front axles have some excessive wear. Going to take them out , weld the worn spots up and grind them down and install new bushings.

DSCN1004_zpsg9qfd3zc.jpg

48" deck is pretty decent. no Rust holes or pitting. Got one crack at the mouth to weld up, and need to paint the surface rusted areas where the paint peeled off. Spindles seem decent and blades are still usable. need to remove the outrigger wheel brackets and pound the tin back out where they ran into stuff and pushed it in. Will have to buy some replacement parts if I and going to put the brackets back on and use them.

DSCN1005_zpspx4kdzuy.jpg

It came with 23x10.50x12 Carlisle true power tires and a set of tire chains..and has one new front 16x7.50x8 front tire. Legacys sold with the 48" decks came with the smaller tires from what I understand.I hope the axles fix up decent, and everything else works ok, as I have a 18 command sitting here that can/will go into it.

DSCN1002_zpsl8bfh88o.jpg

Tractor #2 is a foot control hydro Broadmoor with a single cylinder command. Cleaned it up and fixed some wiring and had it running this morning. Good thing was it ran and the transmission even works. Bad news is the engine while it runs good, knocks and smokes a little. I bought it for parts and mainly to rob the foot control system and put it in my piece together Landlord I mow with. Got a good battery in this one too.

DSCN1003_zpso2qdpjpj.jpg

DSCN1000_zpscstxbzti.jpg

Lastly I got a Duetz Allis lawn tractor cab. Was told it was for a Sunstar/Ultima. I hold the main bracket up and cant see where it would bolt up though. Anyone recognize what the cab is for for sure by the main bracket in the picture? Its going on my susntar in any case even if I have to make some new brackets

DSCN0999_zpsdnd9aujh.jpg

Only spent $365 for the whole lot. Thats $1 a day for the year:DIf I were still into selling parts I could have come home with several more tractors for about that much $$$ more.The lawn equipment was not bringing a whole lot at the auction overall.

Looks like you have the fall scheduled out now Sam. Expecting some interesting threads.

If you find a low hr command pwrd cub cadet lurking thats shot except for engine, let me know. gw

Great haul.

I know noting about Legacy's. It looks like the deck runs off a front PTO. Did all the necessary parts come with the tractor to install on your 18 Command? Or are we going to see some custom manufacturing in a future post?

Great deal on the package, Sam. But it make me wonder. I know when it comes right down to it, tractors are tools. Used to work and accomplish tasks. But I was always taught that you took great care for your tools, because they earned you your living, or made life possible in so many other ways. Yet I see some of these tracors so used up and it is irritating to me.

Sort of like the farms you see where everything is neatly kept, grass cut equipment parked and taken care of, barn and out buildings clean and things generally in order. Then there is the guy down the street with equipment busted, used up or just neglected, parked for years and completely overtaken by brush and weeds, junk everywhere livestock in a pasture of mud and filth, and just general neglect.

Sad stuff. Keep salvaging and nuturing the old girls back to life Sam!

I know what you're saying Brett.

Pulled the front axles on the Legacy tonight. Usually on a maintained machine they are greasy or at least wet with a film of grease. These were almost bone dry. I dont think they were ever greased beyond their installation...and one was a new replacement part, completely worn out.

The castings are ovaled and the axles have pretty deep grooves cut in them at the top edges. Just a little grease once in a while would have prevented this to a large degree.

quote:Originally posted by Simplicity7013H

Great haul for a good price. Could I ask how much you gave for the legacy?

id="quote">
id="quote">$250 for the Legacy, $35 for the Broadmoor, and $80 for the cab.There was a Massey version of the Broadmoor there in great shape that ran great too, and it only brought $180. A lot of bargains at that auction.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely LOVE it !!!...id="red">id="size5">On the Broadmoor, the smoking was oil spilled on the muffler..ANDThe knocking turned out to be 2 things...2 of the 4 engine mount bolts were really loose and a third was missing completely. Most of the knocking was simply the engine hopping up on the frame everytime a load was applied and during speed changes. The rest of the noise was a improperly installed pto clutch. They did not get the clutch over the anti spin pin, so the clutch was banging on the axle pivot bolt.Guess this tractor is staying together and getting cleaned updOdOn the cab, it would seem that the cab frame is actually a cab frame for a Allis 620/720 with newer Duetz Allis skin on it. My son seems to want it, so now trade negotiations are going on:DThe legacy axles are repaired and being re-installed today. I bought some oversize bronze bushings, used a carbide cutter in my die grinder to carefully open the holes in the cast iron to recieve them. I used the axles held up against the good side in each hole to trace around a new bushing placed on the cast iron centered on the axle. Worked out pretty good. Used some jb weld on the bushings during installation to fill my grinding imperfections in the cast iron.

DSCN1007_zpseaifqy8m.jpg

Welded up the worn spots in the axles and filed down.

DSCN1008_zpstjxwompb.jpg

As long as the axle doesnt break where the power steering cylinder attaches everything should work out. As you can see below, it looks and stands a whole lot better than it did in the picture up above in the opening post.

DSCN1009_zpstydrdeck.jpg

I had to remove the 3 grease zerks relating the the axle assembly and dig out the solidified grease from lack of use, this so the grease could flow again. Installed new zerks and greased it up good. Something I really dont think the previous owner ever did.Next step is to get the command out of the 712 and drop in the Legacy. Will be dropping a 14hp Kohler in the 712 till I find another command for it.

DSCN1012_zps5zo0wx0y.jpg

quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

Great haul.I know noting about Legacy's. It looks like the deck runs off a front PTO. Did all the necessary parts come with the tractor to install on your 18 Command? Or are we going to see some custom manufacturing in a future post?

Bill,I'm fairly new to the legacys too. Only had one for about 2 years now. This is the second, but the first that I have really worked over and had apart. Engine/electric clutch drives the pto stub shaft which runs front and center attachments. For rear attachments there is an optional rear pto gearbox that drives off a electric clutch which is shaft driven from a stub shaft on the end of the hydrostatic pump opposite the side that gets driven from the engine via a drive shaft. Actually I think there were 3 different rear pto setups available that will work on this tractor. a 2000 rpm drive, a engine speed drive, and actual 540 rpm pto setup. I have a 540 on the other legacy. Everything is there except for the muffler. May have to do some creative manufacturing or reworking in regards to that;)

• 3 weeks later...

Got some more progress to show. Aquired a Sunstar muffler that had the inlet pipes cut off, otherwise in good shape. Bought a cheap muffler off Ebay from a Cub Cadet with a Command that had the correct inlet pipes. Cut those off and spliced them onto my sunstar muffler adding some more pipe in between to make them the correct length.

DSCN1014_zpsgtex560r.jpg

DSCN1015_zpsejx5lxk2.jpg

Fits up pretty well. Luclily I did get the correct outlet pipe with the tractor. Also got the clutch and clutch fan installed. The original fan spacer to the tractor had a narrow lip (only about 1/16") that went up into the clutch. Didnt like that , so found one from a later Agco 2023 off Ebay that had a good 1/4" or more of lip to fit into the clutch and got that to use instead.

Anyhow, here we are  at the moment.

DSCN1013_zpsshqridpy.jpg

I may throw some high temp paint on the muffler and pipes as well as the top heat shield that I have not yet put back on.

Found the wiring issues with the start circuit to be in a relay, so will replace the relay with another from my electrical used parts supply to fix that.

Next will be o hammer out the damaged tin on each fronnt corner of the hood. Then on to the mower deck...

DSCN1017_zps34rwrqr2.jpg

• Like 2

Got some paint on the exhaust..

DSCN1020_zpskm2w68tp.jpg

Got the anti- scalp wheel assemblies fixed up and painted. Had to manufacture a new axle for the one. Ordered new wheels today.

I used Rustoleum 7784 Charcoal Grey to paint the, Its not perfect, but its a real close match to the gray on the tractor frame and other parts.

DSCN1019_zpsdxu6cdfv.jpg

Till those wheels get here this is where I am at now....

DSCN1021_zpsimtljujh.jpg

DSCN1023_zpswncyfhyy.jpg

Took it out and mowed on the yard for a couple of hours today without trouble. Well, almost no trouble...the rear wheels stick out too far. I dont think they are the original Legacy rims. Look to be white painted over to silver with a deeper dish.

Caught one of my park benches with the tire lug mowing around it and broke the bench castings all to pieces. The 48" decks on these Legacys have very little territory sticking out beyond the wheels to mow up to stuff with , and the too wide a wheels on the back dont help any.. Will have to find some of the correct wheels someday.

Mower mows real nice, bearings are nice and quiet, and there was only 2 cracks to weld up and no rust holes to deal with. Still need to find a front PTO shield for it.

Hood straightened up fairly well. Hammered the dents and crinkles out  to a flatter profile and then had to use a couple of pony pipe clamps from the woodworking shop to pull the sides back in, once it was assembled again, so it would close on the plastic dash like it is supposed to.

Not going to repaint, but will be trying some of this Rustoleum Re-Color stuff on the orange faded parts . Supposed to bring the color back. We will see... Will post more pictures when I get that done.

On 9/26/2016 at 7:34 AM, Talntedmrgreen said:

I agree...love the cut of a 48", but it's just too small on am machine that large IMO.

Tell me about it... I like the 54' deck best myself, which is on my other Legacy

This tractor has the 23x10.50x12 rear tires and 16x7.50x8 fronts. Cant imagine trying to mow with a 48  on a tractor with 26x12x12 and 18x8.50x8 tiresO.o

Ok,  Legacy project is all done for the most part. Only thing remaining is to aquire/make a pto shield.

Took some white rear wheels off the spare parts shelf that came off a 90's Landlord and found them to have the correct offsets for use on this tractor. Swapped the Titan bars off the apparent Wheel Horse dished rims to these and repainted them in Rustoleum Titaneum.

DSCN1036_zpsm6vlxfhw.jpg

As you can see below, with the dish in, the tires sit just about even with the fenders. With the dish out, the tires end up sticking out about 1 3/4" beyond the fenders. With the in as pictured, mowing is quite a bit easier than it was with the previous wheels sticking out past the deck.

DSCN1032_zps0frlsayx.jpg

As to the Rustoleun Re-Color, I would give it 3 out of 5 stars. If the color is lightly faded or just lost its gloss, it seems to do a pretty good job bringing it back. If the color has changed due to severe fading it doesnt do anything to change the color back to what it should be. Just puts a nice glossy sheen on what color is there. See for yourself the end results compared to the earlier pictures at the start of this post..

DSCN1029_zpsubw2z8jh.jpg

DSCN1030_zps8rmxgzv5.jpg

DSCN1033_zpsf0ynla6w.jpg

DSCN1035_zpshk03scfn.jpg

DSCN1031_zpsgh6dspln.jpg

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Brettw said:

I think that air cleaner cover has to go, Sam............

Eventually I will pick up a junk command somewhere, but it will have to do for now. Besides, the boy bought the whole Cub Cadet tractor that engine was in for a whoppin $150:o

It just dont get much cheaper than that.dOd  ...and....At that price I can afford to forgive the questionable lettering for a while&:)

2 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Eventually I will pick up a junk command somewhere, but it will have to do for now. Besides, the boy bought the whole Cub Cadet tractor that engine was in for a whoppin $150:o

It just dont get much cheaper than that.dOd  ...and....At that price I can afford to forgive the questionable lettering for a while&:)

Just add some decals, positioned carefully, and it will be all good....

https://www.carstickersdecals.com/pee-on-stickers.html