Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC Homlelites continued......

SmilinSam

I found some more tid bits last night. Prior to the introduction of the 16 hp Briggs in the T-16, my hydro owners manual(the same one I sent you Woody) which looks to be a 1974 printing because it haes picturs from 74' tractors, states that on the T-12 and T-15 hydros when the shift lever on the back of the Vickers Hydro is in nuetral the brakes on the tractor will not engage to stop the tractor from rolling. With the introduction of the T-16 this problem was corrected by changing some of the components inside the transmission. After looking at my two different parts manuals T-15 vs T-16 I can see that many of the parts dealing with the neutral free wheeling mechanism were changed. I would have assumed this was also changed on the Simplicity and Allis Chalmers in 1972 as well, but I can find no reference to a change from the earlier style(no braking while in neutral) in my 300/400 parts /repair manual. All it shows is this early type.HOwever, I have a Simplicity 3416H manual that shows the newer revise parts being used in the transmission, so I do believe it must have nbeen changed in all of them in 1972. Also found was that with the 1974 model year of AC made Homelites, not only the front hitching points were changed - but the rear points were also changed. Early tractors like on the 72-73 1/2 had wider spacing on both front and rear hitch points. What it looks like is that with the intro of the last variation(73 1/2- 74 1/2) the hitching points were chaged to the same width as the Simplicity tractors-both front and rear. So, with the last variation you could actually use Simplicity blades and "maybe" tillers on your Homelite. Makes me wonder if they knew at that time that the following year would bring the change from AC production to Simplicity production?????? Hmmmm....... more questions...

Sam, When I first bought my AC T16H one of the first things I tried to do was place the transmission in neutral so I could push the tractor around. I could not budge that lever so I gave up. During those days my attempts to get a manual failed. Now, 15 years later I finally have manuals which still astounds me though it may seem to be a trivial matter. I noticed what you stated about the brakes not working as you stated. Last night my wife was wondering where I was going outside at 11:30 with a tape and flashlight. I said NOTHING as usual and I measured the mount on the mower deck which came with the AC T16H. At first the mounts measured 11" but then I noticed the mount had been spread out from 10 1/2". Since I bought this tractor so long ago it seems the mower deck is original and may have been bent intentionally. Maybe they were using up old mower decks in the factory? I measured at the first cross tube weld points and 10 1/2" is the correct measurement center to center. How did the serial number turn out on my AC T16H?...Woody

Sam, I know 5 tractors ranging from a 1970 HB212 to a 1973 3416H all with Vickers hydros and they all freewheel when the neutral lever is disengaged with no brakes. All of the 1974 or newer tractors I have seen contain the Sunstrand hydro. I have not seen any Vickers that did NOT freewheel. >>>The plot thickens with the mysteries HOMERLITES>>>> Mike S.

I just looked over the newly posted Homelite Tractor brochure in the Gallery. Any idea on the numbers these machines were manufactured in? I don't recall ever seeing one here in Western Pennsylvania. Nice lookin' tractors... Thanks, Tacey

Sam, Serial number on my old Homelite is 32100511. The spacing between the front axle mounts is 11 1/4". I asked my friend about using my Homelite deck on his 312S, and he said that it was tight, and that he forced the mounts in but did not bend them. They show no signs of being bent, and they still fit the Homelite properly. I should also mention that I am not absolutely positive that the last three digits of the serial number are 511. There is a scratch between the 5 and the 1 so they are both distorted, but I believe they are the correct numbers. Hope this helps. Pat