Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

48" Mower deck covers

Brent_Baumer

Re-installed my replacement center drive assembly today on the 48" deck and had the same problem I always do getting the #@&^ covers back on. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how you are supposed to get the four 1/4" bolts (2 on each side) at the back of the deck re-installed without taking the whole bale off. You cannot get a wrench on them because the bale partially covers them. I have just been leaving them out because it is more work than it's worth. I have 2 decks, one made in '74 and the other '87 and both have the same problem. Anyone else have this problem? Brent

Brent, An old trick is to tack weld a nut on the bad side while it is apart. That ends trying to hold it to start it and to tighten it. JoeJ

Joe - that may work if I use a jam nut welded to the cover itself and thread the bolts in from the underside of the deck. I know I don't have the original bolts on these decks, but I don't see any way one could ever have gotten an open/box end wrench in that space, and all the 7/16" sockets I have tried won't fit down in there either because their outside diameter is too large to fit in between the bail and cover. Heck, I can't even get the 1/4" x 3/4" bolt down through the hole without forcing it because the bolt head won't make it past the bail.

Brent - I have a 2-1/2" X 2" angle I use to adjust the height of my Sovereign 48" mower deck. I set the height at 2-1/2" for summer and then start to lower it to 2" starting September 1. When my deck is set at 2-1/2" there is enough socket clearance to remove the rear 1/4" hex head cap screws holding down the belt covers. But when my mower is set at 2", there is not. I would recommend adjusting your rollers down when removing the deck covers. I also have to remove the (2) front pins attaching the hitch to the bail to access the (2) front screws directly under the bail. Make sure to clean the grass out from under the belt covers often (2 times per mowing season) to prevent rusting. Also, lube the belt tensioner pivot with grease or antiseize, as they like to rust.