Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My swapped in Honda GX670 surges.. Stumped.

HoytBow1

Video posted soon.

Everything I read says to clean the carb. I've had the carb apart 3 times now. Totally apart and cleaned. After the second time back together the surge went away but came right back the second time I started it.

Never had this issue with briggs and kohler and am stumped. Help!

I removed the fuel filter. Changed throttle spring. Added governor buffer spring and removed. Took out the solenoid needle. No luck.

Messed with mixtures too and don't seem to have a great affect in general.

Governor setting? To me, it acts like the governor is trying to rev it up and then the gov. spring is pulling it back. Just a guess tho.

Harry

Still messing with it. I have not changed governor settings and it used to run fine. I've been mowing with this tractor all summer.

It is definitely fuel related as it smooths out with choking a good deal. Also smooths out with carb cleaner sprayed down the carb but not when spraying around gaskets.

I'm thinking one of the o-rings inside is not sealing tight. I can't find them online anywhere. The primary suspect is rectangular shaped, not round.

Too lean. Running too lean will cause the governor to hunt. Add that choke or putting more fuel into the throttle opening settles it down.

My best guess.

quote:Originally posted by HoytBow1

It is definitely fuel related as it smooths out with choking a good deal. Also smooths out with carb cleaner sprayed down the carb but not when spraying around gaskets.

id="quote">
id="quote">You have the problem identfied, you just need to figure out the cause.How is the idle? Some, but not all carbs will continue to feed fuel from the idle circuit even at full throttle. If the idle is bad that may be leaning the high speed mix a bit. Ken

When cleaning the carb, did you pull out all the needles valves? Manufacturers like to press plugs over the top of them so you can not adjust them. On my Kohler, I used a Dremel grinder to remove the plug in order to remove the idle jet on a Kohler.

quote:Originally posted by Bill725

When cleaning the carb, did you pull out all the needles valves? Manufacturers like to press plugs over the top of them so you can not adjust them. On my Kohler, I used a Dremel grinder to remove the plug in order to remove the idle jet on a Kohler.

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes. There are 2 black caps over the main valves. Idle needles are adjustable. In any case I removed the carb for the 4th time and completely disassembled and cleaned again. Used a small wire to clear every port and orafice. Put back on and it is purring again, not starving and surging.Thanks to all for the replies.