Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

After 20+ years, first time I've had this problem.

HoytBow1

Looks like the whole crosshaft stops turning, which means, like Brett said, that the keyway is shot on the crosshaft holding the bevel gear on. Though it could be the input shaft key too. Either way would yield same results. You will need new parts inside the gearbox regardless...

Could also be the key on the driveshaft yoke on the input shaft. Had that happen to me once myself. Though, when that happened to me the gearbox shaft quit moving all together whether that pto was engaged or not.

My 912h did something like this a couple years ago but slightly different. The PTO wouldn't disengage fully and was smoking badly engine wouldn't run or turn over properly. I smacked the clutch with a hammer a few times and all was well. I was told all the same stuff. She still runs like a champ to this day. My BGB does need rebuilt though.

Update. In this vid the driveshaft is disconnected, vise grips are locked on the gearbox input shaft. Input shaft has maybe 30 degrees of travel. Gearbox plate is off. See what's going on.

Although I know its not the right thing to do, I'm very tempted to weld the gear to the shaft. Not sure if I can get them both clean enough for the weld to take, keep the bead out of the gear or even get the tip accurately in these close quarters.

Well, despite my better judgement Jr. and I welded the gear to the shaft. Had to do some micro grinding on the welds.

Got it all back together and mowed with it for a few minutes. Works fine and isn't noisy.

I wouldn't have done it if if this machine was relatively nice but it sure has seen better days. I have a few others that are nice and not hacked on so I figured what the heck and went for it.

Well, I pressed my luck and mowed for about 30 minutes when the welds broke. I expect the shaft was too hard for my little Hobart 135 to penetrate.

Stripping this thing down and putting the carcass including the hydraulic lift on Craigslist.