Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

agco918 engine problems AGAIN 3 time

AGCO918

warranity has been out on this for almost a year and i have it in simplicity dealer for the 3rd time with gas in the crankcase. dealer rebuilt the carb for the 3rd time i belive. i have been on the phone with kohler and so has my dealer. THEY ARE TRYING TO GET ME A NEW engine but kohler wont do it.THEY WANT TO BLAME ME for this and enough is enough.I DIDNT SPEND $6000.00 TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM AFTER THE WARRANITY IS OUT.I NEED TO KNOW IF ANYBODY CAN HELP ME. SOME BODY has to be able to help me with this defect in this engine.SHOUULD I call the better bussiness bureau or is there anybody else that can help me ? where do i get the number for the better bussiness bureau ? KOHLER DOESNT WANT TO DO ANYTHING BUT KEEP FIXING THE SAME thing and something needs to be done. please help..... AGCO918 CHAD E SHAFER

Hey AGCO I would have to wonder how KOHLER thinks this problem is something you have done. I don't suppose you go pour gas into your crankcase...and fill the gas tank with oil? (Sarcasm intended). Being on the Canadian side...I can't give you suggestions since our laws are similar, but not quite the same One side question...did you ever have problems with oil consumption? Or is the 'gas in the crankcase' the main one you have had. If you did what did they do about it( the oil consumption issue)? Good luck to you SimpleMan PS If you do luck out and get a replacement...I would suggest putting in a Command series Kohler. This is only my opinion. They may of worked all of the bugs out of the OHC series, but the Command has a longer track record, which is something to think about.

Chad, Who are you talking to? Are you talking to the service rep at the Kohler Central Distributor? What state are you in? Do you know who the Kohler Central Distributer is? Who did you talk to at Simplicity? Simplicity is the organization least able to influence this. Exactly what has been done to correct the problem.? I would very carefully document the history on this including every problem you have had and when and what was done to fix it. I don't know if I can give you any advice, but it is important to have a very good documentation of your problems, including the approxiamte number of hours on the engine when these problems occurred. Let us know and maybe we can help you. If you don't know who your Kohler Central is I can find out for you if I know where you live. Did your dealer help you on these contacts, or did you have to do it yourself? Al E

Chad, I can really identify with your frustration. I know, it just ain’t fair. Unfortunately, probably nobody outside Kohler can help you. The Better Business Bureau is useless. Even if you hire a lawyer, you’ll pay big bucks and probably not get the results you deserve. 2500 years ago the Greek historian Thucydides observed, “The strong do as they will and the weak suffer as they must.” Times haven’t changed. A number of years ago I had a similar problem with a $1500 Motorola radio. Bought it brand new and it never worked properly. After the local factory dealer exhausted every repair technique, they told me they would have to send it back to the factory for a rebuild. The radio was only a few months old and the local guys had heated it, froze it, and vibrated it trying to find the problem. My position was, I deserved a new factory fresh radio. Even the regional office manager told me that was not Motorola’s policy. The following is what I did: 1) I got all my facts together (names, dates, times, who, when, where). 2) I got the name of Motorola’s CEO. 3) I called Motorola’s corporate headquarters in Schaumburg, Illinois and ask to speak with the CEO (I finally got to speak with his private personal executive secretary). 4) I calmly and politely gave her my name and all the details. Then I added that I owned a very small business, and I probably didn’t matter much to a big company like Motorola, but the lack of the radio was really a hardship. She told me she would call the regional office to confirm the details and would get back to me. I thanked her and asked her name (I still remember it was Carol). 5) I then informed her that if the regional office continued to refuse replace the radio, I would have no choice but to fly out to Schaumburg and stand in the CEO’s reserved parking spot until I spoke with him. I told Carol I expected to be arrested, but would make bail and come back again, and again, and again until the radio was replaced (I guess I sounded serious, because I was). A few hours later the regional office called and advised me my new radio would arrive in about 2 weeks, which it did. Sometimes nothing can beat self help.

Tell them to replace the fuel pump to solve the problem. Then tell your local mech. to replace your engine since he could not find something so simple to start woth and by now the dialuted oil has shurely caused unessesary wear on your engine.

My kohler distributer is out of columbus ohio and they have done nothing for my dealer in greenville ohio at all but stall them. THE fuelpump was replaced this time last yr with a carb rebuild kit and a and a breather that goes on the front of the engine. I HAVE EVERYTHING AS FAR AS THE WORK ORDER COPY WITH EVRYTHING THAT WAS DONE FROM MY DEALER.MY DEALER talked to a guy from kohler by the name of hank .I dont know his last name.HE IS FROM THE service part i think. AL IF YOU CAN HELP ME I WOULD APPRIATE IT AS I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I wish agco would have had the diesel engine in it that the 920 allis had. I wish i could find a nice 920 in ohio forsale that i could by and have it and the agco918. I love my agco918 as you all know i am just very stressed out and need some help from somebody on here that can help me. I wish kohler would just give me a new engine and be done with it.IT HASNT BEEN RIGHT FROM DAY ONE .NO oil consumption but my dealer called and talked to my wife yesterday and told her that it the carb was rebuilt and they will keep tractor a couple days to see what it will do,and they told my wife that it might use oil which i went threw the roof when she told me last night.MY TRACTOR WAS BOUGHT AT NORTH STAR HARDWARE IN NORTH STAR OHIO WHICH THEY GOT IT THROUGH ANOTHER AGCO DEALER. KINNISONS OUTDOOR POWER my simplicity dealer in greenville ohio is working on it. THEY have been great as far as i am concerned as they have fixed the tractor replacing the fuel pump and the carb rebuilt 3 times now and the breather on the front of the engine. THEY ARENT AT FAUGHT AS FAR as fixing it .THERE IS SOMETHING IN THE engine that is causing it and kohler dont want to addmit that there is something wrong .MY dealer has been in contact with hank at kohler and i dont know what was said.KOHLER TOLD MY DEALER THAT THE GAS SITTING OVER WINTER made the carb leak gas into the crank case.HOW MANY PEOPLE LET THEIR CARS SIT AND HAVE TO REBUILD THE MOTOR? NONE THAT I KNOW OF.MY DEALER took a quart of gas out of the tank and seen no water at the bottom of the jar. please help.THANK YOU AL and EVERYONE ELSE FOR HELPING ME.al can you get in contact with ANYONE THAT MAY BE ABLE TO HELP ME? AGCO918 CHAD E SHAFER

Hi Chad, I think the problem you have is with a sticky fuel solenoid. I am assuming that all the typical stuff has been done to the carberator. So, make sure the fuel solenoid is moving in and out properly when 12 volts is applied. If there is any rust on it, replace it. We had a fuel solenoid go bad on our anniversary edition tractor due to rust. Also, if you have any water in the gas, the viton tip of your float valve will not seat correctly and allow gas to pass through. The last thing that I think could be happening is that the two o rings that seal the internal fuel stack are being damaged shen it is being put together. We always replace them. They are very prone to damage because as the carb is put together, the aluminum carb body shears off a small portion of the o rings. This allows fuel to leak by the fuel stack. If you have any more questions or problems e-mail us or call (507) 534-2431

Jonette: THE SOLENOID WAS REPLACED ALSO .I remember that now as i read your post .THAT WAS REPLACED A YR AGO ALSO .AGCO918 CHAD E SHAFER

Man it sure is true you just cant buy new anymore.These big companys just dont give a crap about the little guy.I picked up a snowblower from SEARS a while back and i had nothing but trouble with it. I did more chaseing around i am sure 30 or more ph, calls.They took it in the shop for 3 winter mo, Sent it back to me and it started all over again .Took it the second time and the same thing.I payed $1400 for it they spent (you wont believe) $1200 on repairs berore they gave up and returned my money.Never again,buy second hand and restore.-Good luck Chad Ron B

Chad, You have to be in charge. By that I mean if the person you are talking to gives you an answer you don't like You have to go over that person to the next level. Do not allow a negative answer to be acceptable. When you are talking to a company rep realize that person only has limited authority. They won't admit this because they Want you to believe they are the ultimate boss of the situation. Once you get this basic idea in your head you will get what you want most of the time. You must organize your case as if you were going to court. Don't make any wild claims, only use facts during your conversation. Stay calm but firm during your conversation and when that person does not agree with you or says he or she can't do anything further that is your cue to go higher up. Demand to speak with their supervisor but stay calm. Remember to state exactly what it is you want out of this conversation. Don't just bitch about lousy treatment. Once a factory rep knows what you want that person if he has enough power will give it to you. It sometimes helps to mention that others, such as this club are paying attention to the outcome of your problem but try not to make it sound like a threat. Say it something like this: My fellow club members at SimpleTractors on the internet are surprised at how my persistent problem is being handled...There is no threatening language there and that person will want to help keep their good name rather than tell you to take a hike. I've been successful at this many times. The last time was two weeks ago with JVC. I just got a check from them to help pay for my component upgrades. No yelling but persistence and talking to someone higher up worked. My nickel's worth...Woody

Ron, thinkin that only works if you can fix it yourself. Talked to my sis last nite in Wash, she's fit to be tied, took her ole suban in cause she thought the choke was messin up, it was starting hard. she now has new dist, wires, plugs, carb and it pings every time she steps on the gas and is being told thats normal, she asked the guy, you mean it hasn;t run normal for the last 12 years??bs. all for 1300 bucks. MPH